How Do You Solve a Kinetic Friction Problem Involving Two Blocks?

Remember to use proper units in your calculations. In summary, the lower block in the figure is pulled by a rope with a tension force of 20 N and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.30 with both the surface and the upper block. Using the equations m1a= T - (0.3)m1g and m2a= 20 - T - 0.3m1+2g, the acceleration of the 2.0kg block is found to be 1.77 m/s^2.
mvpshaq32

Homework Statement

The lower block in the figure is pulled on by a rope with a tension force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the surface is 0.30. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the upper block is also 0.30.
knight_Figure_08_28.jpg

Find the acceleration of the 2.0kg block

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set m1a= T - (0.3)m1g and m2a= 20 - T - 0.3m1+2g. After which I added them and isolating a, giving me a=(20 - 0.3m1+2g - 0.3m1g)/(m1+m2), which gave me the answer 2.75, but apparently it is not correct.

Never mind, I solved it. I forgot the friction between block 1 and 2 for movement of block 2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
m1a= T - (0.3)m1g
m2a= 20 - T - 0.3m1+2g-0.3m1g

==>a=[20-(m1+m2)g*0.3-2*0.3*m1g]/(m1+m2)=5/3 (ms^-2)

is it right?

Yep, you got the equation set up right, but the answer is 1.77, not 5/3

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or moves across a surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces in contact and the interlocking of surface irregularities.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest. Additionally, kinetic friction is typically less than static friction, meaning it takes less force to keep an object moving than to get it moving from a state of rest.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction depends on the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force with which the surfaces are pressed together, and the speed at which the objects are moving. Other factors that may affect kinetic friction include the temperature and the presence of any lubricants or coatings on the surfaces.

4. How do you calculate kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force (perpendicular force) between the two surfaces in contact.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants or coatings on the surfaces in contact, which helps to fill in the microscopic gaps and reduce the roughness. Additionally, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together or decreasing the speed at which the objects are moving can also decrease kinetic friction.