Kinetic/Mechanical Energy -> Electricity?

In summary, the most efficient mechanism of converting kinetic or mechanical energy into electricity is by using biomechanical engineering, such as harvesting energy from walking.
rtsphysics
Kinetic/Mechanical Energy ----> Electricity?

Hi,

I am new to these forums (always the cliche phrase of a new person!:tongue:), and i was wondering about a certain question. What are the most efficient mechanisms of converting kinetic or mechanical energy into electricity? I tried to do some stuff on google for about 2 hours, but i did not find any ways of how a device converts the energy. All i found were articles about such devices.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate forum to ask this question, so I am also going to post in the Engineering Forums.

Thanks!

-rtsphysics

Physics news on Phys.org

rtsphysics said:
Hi,

I am new to these forums (always the cliche phrase of a new person!:tongue:), and i was wondering about a certain question. What are the most efficient mechanisms of converting kinetic or mechanical energy into electricity? I tried to do some stuff on google for about 2 hours, but i did not find any ways of how a device converts the energy. All i found were articles about such devices.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate forum to ask this question, so I am also going to post in the Engineering Forums.

Thanks!

-rtsphysics
Are you taking hydropower, like a Niagara falls generating station which relies on the potential to kinetic energy change of the the falling waters of the Niagara River to spin a turbine connected by a shaft to a generator, where the spinning magnets rotating past copper coils produces electricity??. Cheap and reliable power.

Are you taking hydropower, like a Niagara falls generating station which relies on the potential to kinetic energy change of the the falling waters of the Niagara River to spin a turbine connected by a shaft to a generator, where the spinning magnets rotating past copper coils produces electricity?

Oops! I just realized I didn't make myself clear...Sorry!

Well, I was thinking along the lines of biomechanical engineering, maybe harvesting energy from walking. So in that perspective, it's more like harvesting the kinetic energy and mechanical energy from walking or any other type of movement into electricity.

rtsphysics said:
Oops! I just realized I didn't make myself clear...Sorry!

Well, I was thinking along the lines of biomechanical engineering, maybe harvesting energy from walking. So in that perspective, it's more like harvesting the kinetic energy and mechanical energy from walking or any other type of movement into electricity.
Oh sure go to your nearest science museum and they'll probably have a bike you can pedal that's connected to a small generator that lights up a 100 watt bulb. Same principle, except pedal power replaces water power. Pretty tiring and inefficient though, I'd let the water do the work for me.:wink:

I believe the rankine cycle and brayton cycle works like that. Steam/air causes a turbine to spin which cuts a magnetic field and induces an output emf.EDIT: Sorry, I now read the other posts, ^^ that was not what you wanted to know. Sorry.

Last edited:

1. How is kinetic/mechanical energy converted into electricity?

Kinetic/mechanical energy can be converted into electricity through the use of generators. These generators use the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a coil of wire is rotated within a magnetic field to produce an electric current.

2. What are some examples of devices that convert kinetic/mechanical energy into electricity?

Examples of devices that convert kinetic/mechanical energy into electricity include wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, and bicycles with dynamos. These devices use different mechanisms to harness the energy of movement and convert it into electricity.

3. How efficient is the process of converting kinetic/mechanical energy into electricity?

The efficiency of converting kinetic/mechanical energy into electricity depends on the specific device being used. For example, wind turbines have an efficiency of around 40-50%, while hydroelectric dams can have an efficiency of up to 90%. Overall, the process is relatively efficient, but there is always some energy lost in the conversion process.

4. Can kinetic/mechanical energy be stored as electricity?

Yes, kinetic/mechanical energy can be stored as electricity in batteries or capacitors. This is often done in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to store excess energy for later use.

5. Are there any environmental impacts of converting kinetic/mechanical energy into electricity?

The environmental impacts of converting kinetic/mechanical energy into electricity depend on the specific method being used. Some methods, such as fossil fuel-powered generators, can have negative impacts on the environment through emissions and pollution. However, renewable energy sources, such as wind and hydro, have minimal environmental impacts and are considered more sustainable options for electricity production.