Kinetic theory and temperature in gases

In summary, the temperature of a gas (in kelvin) is proportional to the average kinetic temperature of its particles. At 277C, the mean kinetic energy of the gas is 1.14x10^20. When the temperature is increased to 827C, the mean kinetic energy also increases proportionally to 2.28x10^21. This relationship can be expressed as kinetic energy = ½ x mass x (velocity)². However, there may be a discrepancy as 55K may actually be 5K.
Ifailphysics

Homework Statement

Temperature of a gas (in kelvin) is proportional to the average kinetic temperature of its particles.

Question: The temperature of 55k (277C) to 1100k(827C). At 277C the mean kinetic energy of the gas is 1.14x10^20. What is it at 827C?

Homework Equations

kinetic energy= ½ x mass x (velocity)²

The Attempt at a Solution

55k to 1100k is x20. 1.14x10^20 x20=2.28x10^21.

Just want to check this is correct as I have an exam tormorrow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm fairly out of it because I'm pretty tired, but seems alright to me.

lukas86 said:
I'm fairly out of it because I'm pretty tired, but seems alright to me.

Alright, cheers mate.

How is 55K = 277C??

5k maybe? I just noticed that now...

1. What is the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases is a scientific model that explains the behavior of gases at a microscopic level. It states that gases are made up of tiny particles (atoms or molecules) that are in constant motion and have no definite shape or volume. The particles collide with each other and the walls of their container, creating pressure and exerting a force.

2. How does temperature affect the motion of gas particles?

According to the kinetic theory, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of gas particles. As temperature increases, the particles gain more energy and move faster, resulting in a higher average speed. This also means that the particles collide more frequently and with greater force, leading to an increase in pressure.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in gases?

The relationship between temperature and pressure in gases is known as Gay-Lussac's law. It states that, at a constant volume, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature. This means that as temperature increases, so does the pressure of the gas, and vice versa.

4. How does the volume of a gas change with temperature and pressure?

According to Charles's law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at a constant pressure. This means that as temperature increases, the volume of the gas also increases, and as temperature decreases, the volume decreases. Additionally, Boyle's law states that the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure at a constant temperature. This means that as pressure increases, the volume decreases, and as pressure decreases, the volume increases.

5. What is absolute zero and how does it relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, where all molecular motion stops. According to the kinetic theory of gases, this means that at absolute zero, the gas particles have no kinetic energy and do not move. This concept is used to define the Kelvin temperature scale, where absolute zero is represented as 0K, and is used in many gas law equations.