Temperature & Gas: Correct or Incorrect?

In summary: Incorrect, since the root mean square speed(c^2)is directly proportional to the temperature, but it will just affect the average kinetic energy, doubling the k.e., but not related to the potential energy.I think this is a 'trick' question. What is the average of all of the velocities of the particles in a (stationary) container of gas?The average of all the velocities of the particles in a stationary container of gas is zero.
dorothy
Homework Statement
Which of the following statements is/are correct when the absolute temperature of a gas is doubled?
(1) Average potential and kinetic energies of the molecules doubled.
(2) The gas volume will be doubled.
(3) The average velocity of the gas molecules will be increased but not doubled.
A. (1) only
B. (3) only
C. (1) and (2) only
D. (1) and (3) only
Relevant Equations
/
(1) Incorrect, since the root mean square speed(c^2)is directly proportional to the temperature, but it will just affect the average kinetic energy, doubling the k.e., but not related to the potential energy.

(2) Correct, since the volume of gas is directly proportional to the temperature

(3) Incorrect, since velocity is a vector, it is directional. Gas molecules move in different directions so the statement is not true.

These are my points but seems there is no such option. May I ask what is wrong with my attempt? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
dorothy said:
(2) Correct, since the volume of gas is directly proportional to the temperature
I must have missed something. Where does it say that the volume is allowed to change?

phinds said:
I must have missed something. Where does it say that the volume is allowed to change?
oh, so I should assume the volume is fixed if the question doesn’t mention about it. Is that right?

May I also ask about (1) & (3) as well? thanks

dorothy said:
oh, so I should assume the volume is fixed if the question doesn’t mention about it. Is that right?
That's certainly what I would do.

IMO the question is unclear/badly written. Have you given us the entire question, word-for-word?

dorothy said:
Homework Statement:: Which of the following statements is/are correct when the absolute temperature of a gas is doubled?
Some answers will depend on whether the gas is ideal or real. Do you know which it is supposed to be?

dorothy said:
(1) Average potential and kinetic energies of the molecules doubled.
The question won't apply to an ideal gas which has no potential energy.

dorothy said:
(2) The gas volume will be doubled.
That depends on
a) if the pressure is kep constant
b) whether the gas is ideal or real

dorothy said:
(3) The average velocity of the gas molecules will be increased but not doubled.
I think this is a 'trick' question. What is the average of all of the velocities of the particles in a (stationary) container of gas?

Or it could be badly written and actually mean 'average speed'.

dorothy said:
(1) Incorrect, since the root mean square speed(c^2)is directly proportional to the temperature, but it will just affect the average kinetic energy, doubling the k.e., but not related to the potential energy.
The answer depends on whether the gas is ideal or real.

dorothy said:
Only if the pressure is constant and the gas is ideal.

dorothy said:
(3) Incorrect, since velocity is a vector, it is directional. Gas molecules move in different directions so the statement is not true.1
Correct - but I think you have not fully picked-up the key point (see above)! Or ir may be a badly written question and is really about average spped.

Have you learned about both ideal and real gases? If not, you may be expected to answer the question on the assumption it is about only an ideal gas.

Likes TSny
dorothy said:
so I should assume the volume is fixed
No, you don’t need to assume that. The question asks what you can deduce from the given fact. Since you are not told anything about the volume or pressure, before or after, you cannot deduce the volume doubles.
Steve4Physics said:
Including potential energy doesn't stop it being a valid statement for an ideal gas. Rather, it implies you should not assume an ideal gas.
Steve4Physics said:
Or ir may be a badly written question and is really about average spped.
Unfortunately, that seems to me the most likely.

dorothy said:
Have you discussed monatomic gasses, diatomic gasses, and the equipartition theorem yet?

dorothy said:
I should assume the volume is fixed if the question doesn’t mention about it. Is that right?
No, you generally shouldn't assume anything about the volume. The question is asking: if you double the temperature, will the volume always double? As others have pointed out, the volume doubles only under certain conditions, so you can't conclude that doubling the temperature necessarily results in the volume doubling.

Steve4Physics said:
If you double zero, it's still zero.

vela said:
Yes indeed. And in fact I considered that when writing the post.

However I felt uncomfortable doubling something that was necessarily zero, so decided to phrase it the way I did.

vela said:
I'm not aware of how the potential energy of an ideal gas is even defined. Am I missing something?

(OP has already ruled out this statement as incorrect, so I think it's fair game for discussion.)

Redbelly98 said:
I'm not aware of how the potential energy of an ideal gas is even defined.
Same as its definition for a non-ideal gas, but with the added fact that it is constant?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Same as its definition for a non-deal gas, but with the added fact that it is constant?
Okay, fair enough.

Redbelly98 said:
I'm not aware of how the potential energy of an ideal gas is even defined. Am I missing something?

(OP has already ruled out this statement as incorrect, so I think it's fair game for discussion.)
One of the assumptions of an ideal gas is that the particles don't interact, so I'd just take the PE as zero.

vela said:
One of the assumptions of an ideal gas is that the particles don't interact, so I'd just take the PE as zero.
Yeah, I was initially thinking -- erroneously -- it would be undefined for noninteracting objects. But okay, if the forces between the particles are zero then it's just a constant. And then apply the usual convention of calling it zero in the limit of infinite separation.

Likes vela

1. What is temperature and how is it related to gas?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In gases, the particles are constantly moving and colliding with each other, and the temperature is directly proportional to the average speed of these particles. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and the gas expands.

2. Can temperature affect the behavior of gas?

Yes, temperature has a significant impact on the behavior of gas. As mentioned before, an increase in temperature causes the gas particles to move faster and expand, while a decrease in temperature causes the particles to slow down and contract. Temperature also affects the pressure, volume, and density of a gas.

3. Is it possible for gas to have a negative temperature?

No, it is not possible for a gas to have a negative temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles, and since kinetic energy cannot be negative, neither can temperature. However, some systems may exhibit a negative temperature on a thermodynamic scale, but this is not the same as negative temperature in the conventional sense.

4. How is temperature measured and what are the units used?

Temperature can be measured using various scales, such as Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin. The most commonly used scale in science is the Kelvin scale, which is based on absolute zero (the point at which all molecular motion stops). The units for temperature on the Kelvin scale are simply Kelvins (K), while on the Celsius scale it is degrees Celsius (°C) and on the Fahrenheit scale it is degrees Fahrenheit (°F).

5. Does temperature affect the density of a gas?

Yes, temperature has a direct effect on the density of a gas. As the temperature increases, the particles in the gas move faster and take up more space, resulting in a decrease in density. Conversely, a decrease in temperature causes the particles to slow down and move closer together, resulting in an increase in density. This relationship is described by the ideal gas law, which states that density is inversely proportional to temperature.