1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Theory of Gases- no. of collisions

1. Jan 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One mole of oxygen at 27°C and at one atmospheric pressure is enclosed in a vessel.
    Assuming the molecules to be moving with Vrms, find the number of collisions per second which the molecules make with 1 m2 area of the vessel wall.

2. Relevant equations
    vrms = √(3RT/M)
    PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to find the total number of collisions that the molecules make with a cube of side 1m and divide that by 6 to get the no. of collisions with one face.
    I know how to calculate pressure (using momentum etc), which gives the equation P = ⅓ ( mN/V ) (vrms)2 where m is the mass of one molecule, N total no. of molecules, V volume.
    I don't know how to combine all this information.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You combine it ONE step at a time. Your first error: you assume a 1 meter cube. Why?

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3
    Okay I won't. I'll assume a volume V. What next?

5. Jan 6, 2016 #4
    Also, do I need to even assume that it's a cube? How about I just assume a randomly shaped vessel with volume V?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted