1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Klein-Gordon Approximation Question

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    I'd be greatful for a bit of help on this question, can't seem to get the answer to pop out:

A particle moving in a potential V is described by the Klein-Gordon equation:

[tex] \left[-(E-V)^2 -\nabla^2 + m^2 \right] \psi = 0 [/tex]

Consider the limit where the potential is weak and the energy is low:
    [tex] |V| << m \;;\; |\epsilon| << m \;;\; \epsilon = E - m [/tex]

Show that in this limit the KG equation can be approximated by the Schrodinger equation:

[tex] \left[-\nabla^2 + 2mV \right] \psi = 2m\epsilon \psi [/tex]

--------------

It seems that a taylor expansion is required or other approximation is needed to get the factors of 2 but I've tried several now and can't seem to make the answer.

Any help much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2
    Divide the original equation by [tex]m^2[/tex], and Taylor expand. Of course [tex]E[/tex] is of order [tex]m[/tex], so keep that in mind when you divide by "large" things.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Sorry, divide everything through by [tex]E[/tex], then [tex]V/E[/tex] is small and you can Taylor expand the square and drop the term [tex]V^2/E^2[/tex]. Now multiply through by E again and divide by m?

5. May 9, 2008 #4
    No need for Taylor expansions, just algebra, keep stuff of 1st order of smallness, expand the square;

E^2 -> m^2 + 2m[tex]\epsilon[/tex]
    2EV -> 2mV
    V^2 -> 0

Stick that in and you get it.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  6. May 9, 2008 #5
    Uhm, heh, about the Taylor expand thing... "If all you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail", it doesn't bother me that it's already a polynomial =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?