1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Klein Gordon eqn, decoupling degrees of freedom

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    Having some trouble following my notes in QFT. Any help greatly appreciated.

We have the Klein Gordon equation for a real scalar field [itex]\phi\left(\overline{x},t\right)[/itex]; [itex]\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\phi + m^{2}\phi = 0[/itex].

To exhibit the coordinates in which the degrees of freedom decouple from each other, we take the Fourier transform, [itex]\phi\left(\overline{x},t\right)= \int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{i \overline{p} .\overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex].

Then [itex]\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex] satisfies [itex]\left(\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}+\left(\overline{p}^{2} + m^{2}\right)\right)\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) = 0[/itex].

If you do it by brute force you get [itex]\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} .\overline{x}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) - \int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}\partial^{2}_{i}e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) = 0[/itex]

then [itex]\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} .\overline{x}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + \int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}} \overline{p}^{2} e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) = 0[/itex]

Now I dont see how to get rid of the intergrals. I can see its similar to a delta function, but you cant just take the [itex]\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex] out of the integrals because the measure is [itex]p[/itex].

Thanks for helping me with this, please let me know if I haven't been clear.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #2
    Your last line can be rewritten as
    [itex]\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}[\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + \overline{p}^{2} \phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)]e^{ i \overline{p} .\overline{x}} = 0[/itex]
    Each term of e^{ip.x} is linearly independent (as they form a basis) and thus each term must be identically 0, giving the desired relation. Identically you can say the fourier transform of [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + \overline{p}^{2} \phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex] is 0. So it must be 0 as well.

4. Oct 25, 2011 #3
    Ah, thats why. Thanks very much, much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook