Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem

• Thread starter Cosmophile
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: Yours is much more elegant! :DIn summary, the conversation discusses a way to represent an arbitrary vector ##\vec {A}## using a unit vector ##\hat {n}## in a fixed direction. The resulting representation is ##\vec {A} = (\vec{A} \cdot \hat {n})\hat{n} + (\hat {n} \times \vec {A}) \times \hat {n}##, which breaks down the vector into its horizontal and vertical components. Alternative methods include using the definitions of the cross product and dot product to show that ##(\hat n\times\vec A)\times\hat n =\vec A-(\vec A\cdot\hat n)\
Cosmophile
Let ##\vec {A}## be an arbitrary vector and let ##\hat {n}## be a unit vector in some fixed direction. Show that [tex] \vec {A} = (\vec{A} \cdot \hat {n})\hat{n} + (\hat {n} \times \vec {A}) \times \hat {n}. [/tex]

Here is my attempt, which I do believe is fine; I just want to know if there is a better way to approach the problem:

The first term, ##(\vec{A} \cdot \hat {n})\hat{n}## is a new vector ##\vec {C}## with magnitude ##A \cos \theta## in the ##\hat {n}## direction. For the second term, I simply did the operations from left-to-right, first getting ##\vec {C} = ( \hat {n} \times \vec {A})##, which if looking down on the plane made by ##\vec {A}## and ##\hat {n}##, would point upwards out of the page (I drew ##\vec {A} to be above \hat {n}##). Then, I took ##\vec {C} \times \hat {n}## and called this new vector ##\vec {D}## which has a magnitude ##A \sin \theta## and points in a direction ##\hat d##, which is perpendicular to ##\hat {n}##. So, I end up with [tex] \vec {A} = A(\cos \theta \hat {n} + \sin \theta \hat{d}). [/tex]

So, I've shown that the statement ##\vec {A} = (\vec{A} \cdot \hat {n})\hat{n} + (\hat {n} \times \vec {A}) \times \hat {n}## just breaks ##\vec {A}## up into its horizontal and vertical components. At least, that's what I make of my work. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I should say that, while I've heard of the triple product, I intentionally didn't use it because (1) it hasn't been taught yet in my book and (2) I don't truly know what it means. I figured there had to be another way to do the problem, so I sought it out.

Looks good.

The main alternative is to use the definitions of the cross product and the dot product to show that ##(\hat n\times\vec A)\times\hat n =\vec A-(\vec A\cdot\hat n)\hat n##.

Sorry, I'm not sure I see the difference between what we are saying.

The definitions I had in mind are these formulas:
\begin{align*}
&\vec x\times\vec y =(x_2y_3-x_3y_2,x_3y_1-x_1y_3,x_1y_2-x_2y_1)\\
&\vec x\cdot\vec y=\sum_{i=1}^3 x_i y_i.
\end{align*} You didn't use either of these directly. Instead you used two results that can be considered equivalent definitions: If ##\theta## denotes the angle between the vectors, then ##\vec x\cdot\vec y## is equal to ##|\vec x||\vec y|\cos\theta##, and ##\vec x\times\vec y## is the vector of magnitude ##|\vec x||\vec y|\sin\theta## in the direction perpendicular to both ##\vec x## and ##\vec y## identified by the right-hand rule.

Likes Cosmophile
Oh, I see! Sorry, I was thinking of the ##AB \cos \theta## and ##AB \sin \theta## formule.

1. What is the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem"?

The "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem" is a physics problem commonly used in introductory mechanics courses. It involves solving for the motion of a particle that is subject to both a constant force and a variable force, usually given as a function of time.

2. Why is the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem" important?

The "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem" is important because it helps students develop their problem-solving skills in physics, particularly in the area of vector analysis. It also introduces students to the concept of motion under the influence of multiple forces.

3. How do you approach solving the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem"?

The first step in solving the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem" is to draw a free-body diagram and identify all the forces acting on the particle. Next, the equations of motion (e.g. Newton's Second Law) can be used to set up and solve the problem. It is important to keep track of both the magnitudes and directions of the vectors involved.

4. What are some common challenges in solving the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem"?

Some common challenges in solving the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem" include correctly identifying and drawing all the forces acting on the particle, understanding the vector properties of the forces, and setting up the equations of motion correctly. It is also important to carefully track units and use appropriate mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem"?

Yes, the "Kleppner/Kolenkow Vector Problem" has many real-world applications in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects in projectile motion, circular motion, and orbital motion. It is also relevant in understanding the motion of particles in electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics.