Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Knot Tie-ing: Adjustable loop and knot that gets more secure as its pulled

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    I do some rock climbing, and the most common knot you see is the double-figure 8:
    BunnyEar1l.JPG

That's because you can tie it at any point in the rope to create a loop for other climbers to latch into. It also gets tighter as you pull from any direction: the loop or either of the two single ropes coming out.

However, I am often faced with a different problem:

Say you have an infinitely long pole that you need to tie a rope around. You have to make a loop that will grip the pole tighter as the rope is pulled. You have access to one end of the rope, not both. You also need a knot that has this property of getting tighter as the rope is pulled.

Is there any such knot that fits this description?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

I think I know the knot you are talking about, but I can't draw or remember the name :(

Its basically a situation where you have the main line (rope going to you) sandwiched inbetween two other pieces of rope, and a knot is formed with these two pieces near the pole.

I'd be easy to video conference and show you a crappy demo, but I don't think I can do that. It might be easier if I just told you to ask the guy with the face for some advice ;)

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    Would this one do?

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4
  6. Oct 24, 2011 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might help if you described the actual situation where you'd need such a knot, but I suspect the thing you are looking for may be a taut-line hitch (or adjustable hitch). The bowline is a very secure way to tie in to a pole with access to one rope-end, but the loop does not tighten on the pole. With access to both ends of the rope, you could tie a prusik or klemheist or other similar friction hitch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook