1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kuhn-Tucker Optimization Problem

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Well, I've been working on this problem, but I can't get the right path to the solution.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Consider the following version of the Ehrlich economic model of crime where an individual has the expected utility function:

U = p ln(Iu) + (1 - p) ln (Is).

p = objective probability of being caught
    Iu= Criminal's income if caught
    Is= Criminal's income if not caught

The criminal's initial endowment of time is T hours a day and should be divided into "time for crime" (tc) and "time for legal work" (tl). So T = tc + tl.
    If the criminal choose to work legally, he gets an income of wl> 0 per unit of time; while engaged in crime he gets an income of wc> wl per unit of time.
    If the individual is caught committing crimes, he get a penalty f > wc - wl per unit of time.

So, the income of an individual who commits a crime but is not arrested is Is = wltl + wctc while if he get arrested
    Iu = wltl + wctc - f tc .
    2. Relevant equations
    Then, the criminal divides his time between crime and work legally, an his problem is given by:

max U = p ln(Iu) + (1 - p) ln (Is). with tc, tl[itex]\geq[/itex]0

s.t. Is= wltl + wctc
    Iu = wltl + wctc - f tc
    T = tc + tl

a) For solving the problem in ( Iu,Is), rewrite the budget constraint as a linear equation: Is = a - bIu . Find a and b.
    b) Graph the problem in ( Iu,Is). Solve the problem in ( Iu,Is) when wl=1 , wc= 2, f= 1.5 , T= 3. Then find the corresponding solutions for (tc,tl)."
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Using differentiation and the Kuhn - Tucker conditions I've concluded that

a= ((1- p) + p (Is))/(1-p)
    b= p (Is)/(1-p)Iu

But I don't believe that's correct.

Hope you could help. Thank you for reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your expressions for a and b are incorrect.

I hate this question's notation, so I re-cast it as
    max p*log(x1) + (1-p)*log(x2),
    s.t.
    x1 = w1*t1+w2*t2-f*t2
    x2 = w1*t1 + w2*t2
    T = t1+t2,
    all vars >= 0.
    You want to use the three constraints to eliminate x1, and so express x2, t1 and t2 in terms of x1. That is a simple linear-equation-solving exercise.

RGV

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook