1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure problem - Impulse of object striking a head

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    Pressure problem -- Impulse of object striking a head

1. A police crime lab is trying to determine whether someone was murdered or died as a result of an accident. He was struck in the temple by a 4.20 kg sculpture that is alleged to have fallen off a bookcase. The sculpture presumably fell a distance of 1.43 m and the corner that struck him had an area of 0.25 cm2. If the time for the sculpture to stop was 1.00 ms, the pressure on his temple, in N/m2, was...

2. i know pressure is : p=F/A
    A(area)= 2.5*10^(-5)m^2
    and the answer is p=8.88*10^(8)N/m^2

but i cant get force in any way
    i know its F=ma, but whatever i try doesnt work. please help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2
    Do you know what an impulse is?

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    in know its change in momentum which is mv, but how would you apply to my force?

5. May 5, 2014 #4
    A force is also a change in momentum, right?

6. May 5, 2014 #5
    yeah but change i get is F=6.006*10^8(kg*m/s^2) and its not the actual force

7. May 5, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Change in momentum and force have some relationship you can use (together with one of the values from the problem statement).

8. May 5, 2014 #7
    Maybe show all your work explicitly so we can find out where you are going wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted