L-C-R Circuit - finding current

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the current i1 in an L-C-R circuit after the switch is closed. Using Kirchoff's loop rule, the equation V - iR1 - L(di/dt) - i(R2+R3) = 0 can be set up. However, immediately after the switch is closed, the inductor acts as an open switch and the current i3 begins at zero. Therefore, the current through the inductor is initially zero and will increase asymptotically towards a final value.
ttiger2k7
[SOLVED] L-C-R Circuit - finding current

Homework Statement

In the figure below, V = 100.0 V, R1 = 40.0 Ohms, R2= R3 = 36.0 Ohms , and L = 17.0 H. No current flows until switch S is closed at t=0. Find the magnitude of the current i1 immediately after the switch is closed.

http://calculus.unl.edu/edu/classes/JF05/LRC.gif

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's loop rule

Voltage across Inductor: [tex]L\frac{di}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [tex]R_{2}[/tex] and [tex]R_{3}[/tex] are in series I can add them:

36 Ohms + 36 Ohms = 72 Ohms

And applying the loop rule:

[tex]V - iR_{1} - L\frac{di}{dt} - iR_{2+3} = 0[/tex]
[tex]100 V - i(40 Ohms) - ? - i(72 Ohms) = 0[/tex]

---

I have two questions regarding this problem:

Is applying the Loop rule the right way to go?

And if so, what exactly is [tex]L\frac{di}{dt}[/tex]? Isn't it just [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{L}[/tex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's much easier than you thought. "Immediately after the switch is closed" is the easiest kind of question to answer. It takes time for the current through an inductor to build up. (Or, if this were a capacitor problem instead of an inductor problem, I would be saying: it takes time for the voltage across a capacitor to build up).

So right after the switch is closed, with i3 beginning at zero, the inductor is like an "open switch".

But remember that this is true only for a point in time -- then i3 will increase asymptotically toward some final value.

thank you!

What is an L-C-R circuit?

An L-C-R circuit is an electrical circuit that contains inductors (L), capacitors (C), and resistors (R). These three components interact with each other to create a complex circuit that has a wide range of applications, including filtering and signal processing.

How do you find the current in an L-C-R circuit?

The current in an L-C-R circuit can be found using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In an L-C-R circuit, the resistance is the sum of the resistance of the resistor (R) and the reactance of the inductor (XL) and capacitor (XC). This can be represented by the equation: I = V / √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2).

What is the significance of the resonant frequency in an L-C-R circuit?

The resonant frequency in an L-C-R circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This is significant because it allows for maximum current flow through the circuit and can be used in applications such as tuning circuits and filtering out unwanted frequencies.

How do the components in an L-C-R circuit affect each other?

The inductor in an L-C-R circuit stores energy in the form of a magnetic field and resists changes in current. The capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field and resists changes in voltage. The resistor limits the flow of current in the circuit. Together, these components interact to create a complex circuit with different properties and behaviors depending on the values of the components.

What are some real-world applications of L-C-R circuits?

L-C-R circuits have a wide range of applications in various fields, including telecommunications, power supplies, audio systems, and more. These circuits are commonly used for filtering, tuning, and controlling current in electronic devices. They are also used in resonant circuits for wireless charging, radio frequency identification (RFID), and signal processing.