Understanding Inductance and Induced EMF in Simple Circuits

Charles Link said:
but it is a trick question
It sure fooled me.
Charles Link said:
It appears it would have been necessary to run a (e.g. a DC) voltage source from "b" to "a" without the resistor R in the circuit, in order to establish the current in the inductor.
This is called a "switch". Sorry but this is silly and I am finished.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
You need to ask, how did it achieve these initial conditions?
Imagine a bar magnet partially inserted into the coil. Then yank the magnet out. This will induce a current in the circuit. Let ##t = 0## be some instant after the magnet has been pulled out but before the current has completely died away.

Likes Charles Link
Delta2 said:
So no one wants to hear from me the full treatment of this I have in mind using Maxwell's equation's the differential version of Ohm's law and concepts like scalar potential, vector potential, conservative and non conservative fields?
See the recent https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/inducing-emf-through-a-coil-understanding-flux.940861/page-4 which you apparently missed,
starting around post 36 and on to 58 and then on to many more posts, but be sure and see post 107. We really gave it a very thorough discussion. It never got complete acceptance, but I think we made a reasonable case for some of the calculations involving a separation of ## E_{induced} ## and ## E_c ## (electrostatic). I don't know that much more can be added to the discussion other than there will be those who agree, and perhaps some who strongly disagree.

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
So no one wants to hear from me the full treatment of this I have in mind using Maxwell's equation's the differential version of Ohm's law and concepts like scalar potential, vector potential, conservative and non conservative fields?

I certainly would.

Likes Delta2 and Charles Link
TSny said:
Imagine a bar magnet partially inserted into the coil. Then yank the magnet out. This will induce a current in the circuit. Let ##t = 0## be some instant after the magnet has been pulled out but before the current has completely died away.
"a" will be at the higher voltage. The EMF is from "b" to "a". (Here I'm localizing the EMF, which may be against the rules that it often goes by="that there is an EMF in the circuit loop, but you can't specify where").

I do disagree with the rule in a number of cases, the inductive coil being a good example where the rule is used as the reason they disagree with having an ## E_{induced} ## and ## E_c ##. Instead, the ## E_{induced} ## is given the freedom to go wherever in the circuit they need to place it.

Last edited:
I am really annoyed by how @hutchphd quite often uses his intelligence for the purpose of irony.

The issue though is does the physics of an ## E_{induced} ## and ## E_c ## have some merit, which I believe it does, or is the Faraday circuit law with the traveling EMF (able to go where it is needed) the best we can do?

PhDeezNutz said:
I certainly would.
Fine thanks.

My main point is that the question asks for the scalar potential which is due to the conservative E-field which has as source the surface charge densities in the wires of the coil and that the EMF of the coil due to the decreasing current is due to the vector potential (that is generated by the time varying current according to the retarded potential equation) and the non conservative E-field.

If you want to hear more tell me.

Likes Charles Link
Delta2 said:
If you want to hear more tell me.
One suggestion would be to add your inputs to the thread that I linked in post 38. The topic is really too advanced for the Introductory Physics Homework section.

Charles Link said:
...it is a trick question. You need to ask, how did it achieve these initial conditions?
Really? You have to know the past to describe the future?

One of the really nice things about linear systems is that you don't have to ask "how did the ICs come about". You may, if you chose, just accept them as the initial state of the system and derive the future behavior from that point. The OP never asked about behavior before ##t=0##.

Specifying ICs without describing history isn't a trick, it's common in the EE world as a practical application of the concept of "state". In fact history is quite irrelevant for idealized linear systems.

Delta2 said:
I don't think the OP does. This all stated as a simple question about the ideal (lumped element) behavior of inductors. Maybe y'all should argue with each other in another thread... again.

Likes SammyS
DaveE said:
I don't think the OP does. This all stated as a simple question about the ideal (lumped element) behavior of inductors. Maybe y'all should argue with each other in another thread... again.
Ye ok I knew from the start that my explanation with scalar and vector potential and .. surface charge densities is way too much for a college level problem.

DaveE said:
Really? You have to know the past to describe the future?
I thought I did ok for a quick response. If you look at the post 31 again, Tim gave a fairly good reason for why "b" needed to be at a higher voltage. Looking at it closer, that higher voltage at "b" looks like it occurs before time t=0.

People seem to be starting to chew at each other a little here=it might do well to give it a break and get a cup of coffee. Cheers. :)

Whatever your argument about the complex mysteries of EM. Make sure they agree with reality. Now days you don't even need to go into the lab to do that.

1705875146719.png

The problem at hand in this thread is the post by the OP. It should be noted that the ## E_{induced} ## in an inductor runs in the same direction as the EMF in a battery, with the EMF pointing to the positive voltage point. I like @kuruman 's diagrams and explanation.

Meanwhile the problem posted by @TSny is interesting, and also fairly easy to solve. I think we are probably all in agreement that the positive voltage is at the "a" end.

Back to the problem posted by the OP, it is of interest how the ## E_{induced} ## behaves differently from an electrostatic ## E ## such as when you have capacitor plates that are charged=the plus voltage end is found in the direction that the ## E ## field is pointing from. @kuruman does have a very good explanation (post 24) and hopefully the OP also found it to be a good one.

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics