• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Lab Partners-is it always like this, or is it just me?

• Thread starter HeLiXe
  • Start date

turbo

Gold Member
Re: Lab Partners--is it always like this, or is it just me?

Pretty cool Turbo :) I also tend to get the responsibility of writing up the lab reports...I often volunteer :biggrin:
Good for you. If you're good at it, the whole team will benefit. Becky was VERY good at taking lab-notes and writing up our reports, so our division of labor was quite beneficial! I could whip through the labs, leaving time for do-overs if we got some unexpected results, and she'd document everything very accurately. We always included uncertainties, possible errors, and disclaimers in our lab reports. The chemistry teacher was pretty impressed. He didn't get that level of detail and attention from anybody else in our class.

One day, Becky decided to squirt me with a nalgene water-bottle, thinking it was cute. It was cute (in a way), but I squirted her legs with another bottle containing a silver nitrate solution. She wore opaque stockings for the next week or two. :devil:

I totally understand your feelings. I'd say stick to what you are doing.
I go to a selective liberal arts college so most people in the lab do have a good sense of responsibility. But still, the majority of people in the lab do not seek the career path as a physicist. So sometimes I'm upset that they do not do things as carefully as I do. I would always voice my opinion (politely) because I will be graded on this lab as well so I want it get done nicely.
As incoming freshmen, most people did not know how to use TeX. I learned how to use TeX as a freshman and I wanted to use it to write my long lab reports. The trouble is, you need to write up the lab report with your lab partner. So what I did is that I persuaded my prof not to assign me a lab partner for the labs where a long lab report is required. :) So I would suggest you do the same thing if you get too annoyed. Of course you have to be academically outstanding, which I believe you are, to get your prof to do that for you.
Thanks so much R.P.F.! Academically I am above average, but not officially outstanding yet:tongue2: I still do not know how to use TeX and have never used it, so naturally I think it is great that you learned it in your freshman year and are using it for your reports. With lab reports I find my partners are quite happy to leave the responsibility of writing it up to me :) Also in our Chem class our prof makes everyone write their own reports, so it is not so bad. In my DE class I had to work with a partner for lab. My experience with him was particularly annoying because he took forever to get back to me about his part of the lab, he did not understand what to do--which is fine because I helped him, and I did all of my part and wrote up the lab. When we had to turn in the report to the prof, he literally ran to the printer to retrieve it, handed it in to her, and said a few things to make it seem as if he did the most work LOL I was upset, but would not tell the prof I did most of the work because that's not teamwork.

Good for you. If you're good at it, the whole team will benefit. Becky was VERY good at taking lab-notes and writing up our reports, so our division of labor was quite beneficial! I could whip through the labs, leaving time for do-overs if we got some unexpected results, and she'd document everything very accurately. We always included uncertainties, possible errors, and disclaimers in our lab reports. The chemistry teacher was pretty impressed. He didn't get that level of detail and attention from anybody else in our class.

One day, Becky decided to squirt me with a nalgene water-bottle, thinking it was cute. It was cute (in a way), but I squirted her legs with another bottle containing a silver nitrate solution. She wore opaque stockings for the next week or two. :devil:
OMG you guys are so reckless :eek: Whatever happened to good ol' dihydrogen monoxide:tongue2:

I would actually tell the professor what's going on if I were you. You should receive credits for the work you did. I treat people who take their responsibilities seriously with great respect, but if they don't, I wouldn't be happy about it. I wouldn't mind helping my lab partner but they have to put effort into learning. Humanities classes are totally not my thing and I do not care what grades I get in them because I won't use them when I apply to grad school. But I still did the readings very carefully. Because when we do group discussions, I don't want my group members to feel dragged down by me. It is my responsibility to participate.
But still, it is your decision after all. I don't know what kind of professor you have and what kind of school you go to. As long as you are happy with your decision, it is OK.

In my DE class I had to work with a partner for lab. My experience with him was particularly annoying because he took forever to get back to me about his part of the lab, he did not understand what to do--which is fine because I helped him, and I did all of my part and wrote up the lab. When we had to turn in the report to the prof, he literally ran to the printer to retrieve it, handed it in to her, and said a few things to make it seem as if he did the most work LOL I was upset, but would not tell the prof I did most of the work because that's not teamwork.
Hmm, that's annoying for you. It's good not to tell the prof that you did most of the work, but make sure you don't end up with that same partner again. It's not ok for you to do all the work and that he just sits there and takes the credit.

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Your partner just shot himself in the foot.

By alienating you he lost himself a good partner.
And trying to make a good impression on the professor won't help him much, if he fails all other exams.

Not really worth worrying much over IMO.
If you feel like it, you might try to "educate" your ex-partner.
(Definitely if you ever have to work with him again.)

Hmm, that's annoying for you. It's good not to tell the prof that you did most of the work, but make sure you don't end up with that same partner again. It's not ok for you to do all the work and that he just sits there and takes the credit.
Unfortunately I'm stuck with him -_-
Your partner just shot himself in the foot.
I'm tempted to ask for pictures......
And trying to make a good impression on the professor won't help him much, if he fails all other exams.
I don't know how he's doing on exams....but you are right, details below.
I would actually tell the professor what's going on if I were you. You should receive credits for the work you did. I treat people who take their responsibilities seriously with great respect, but if they don't, I wouldn't be happy about it. I wouldn't mind helping my lab partner but they have to put effort into learning.
Yes I probably overdid it on the help. He did figure out one of the values by himself so I was happy about that. He contacted me at 8pm the day before the report was due, so everything he did was like boon to me at that point:tongue2: I tried to guide him until 10:30pm and then I just walked him through the DE stuff and left him the basic algebra :blushing:

I neglected to explain how things unraveled because I don't want to gloat... but the prof ended up knowing I did most of the work. She handed the graded report back to me with a huge smile on her face and said "great job" without acknowledging him. I turned to him and told him we made an "A" but he was sore about it. She walked past him to give the report back to me.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with him -_-
If I were in this situation, I would go ask the prof if I could work alone. If I help somebody, and then he starts claiming credit for my work, that would be a huge no-no in my book :biggrin:

I neglected to explain how things unraveled because I don't want to gloat... but the prof ended up knowing I did most of the work. She handed the graded report back to me with a huge smile on her face and said "great job" without acknowledging him. I turned to him and told him we made an "A" but he was sore about it. She walked past him to give the report back to me.
Aaah, very good!!!! :smile: I'm happy that life is a little bit fair after all!!

If I were in this situation, I would go ask the prof if I could work alone. If I help somebody, and then he starts claiming credit for my work, that would be a huge no-no in my book :biggrin:
It is in mine too! We were stuck together unwillingly lol and the prof said we have to work with a partner for the labs and we have to keep the same partner until the class ends...no exceptions.

It is in mine too! We were stuck together unwillingly lol and the prof said we have to work with a partner for the labs and we have to keep the same partner until the class ends...no exceptions.
Hmmm, that's bad :frown: I remember that I never used to like to work in groups, because I always ended up doing all the work. But at least the professor knows you did all of it :smile:

Perhaps see it from the bright side. The more work you do know, the better prepared you will be to do research one day :smile:

Research :!!)

Yes I also tend to do most/all of the work when in groups. I think I bring it on myself though. *must act stupiderer* :uhh:

Thx for all of your input micromass :) Love your new signature btw lol

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Research :!!)

Yes I also tend to do most/all of the work when in groups. I think I bring it on myself though. *must act stupiderer* :uhh:

Thx for all of your input micromass :) Love your new signature btw lol
Regarding micro's sig - I've had many experiences working with a lab partner where it's a bit like trying to do a math proof in a group...:tongue2:

Regarding micro's sig - I've had many experiences working with a lab partner where it's a bit like trying to do a math proof in a group...:tongue2:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm reminded a little of my lab group from last semester. There was one guy in particular who was often goofing off, and did none of the mental heavy lifting (though we did get him to do some of the more tedious bits of experiment). The weird thing was, I think his goofing off drove the rest of us to be more focused. The one day he decided to take off, we got nothing done. It was as if the entire lab group developed attention deficit disorder that day.

I'm not sure I have a point to this, but the memory just crossed my mind.

I think having fun in lab sometimes makes it go better. My lab partner (a different one) and I had so much fun in our titration lab and our work yielded the most accurate results. :D A few of the lab teams were competing with us lol

I have two project/lab partners that I always work with. We each have our areas that we are perfectionists, so we work well with each other.

That's great michielyn :):)

OK I have to bump this *sigh* DE lab is due tomorrow and my lab partner has yet to contact me. Well I guess it's not 10 pm yet (the last time he contacted me the day before the lab was due), but this is a very involved lab. I can do it by myself, but I will definitely let the prof know he did nothing and I'm not putting his name on it either.

OK I have to bump this *sigh* DE lab is due tomorrow and my lab partner has yet to contact me. Well I guess it's not 10 pm yet (the last time he contacted me the day before the lab was due), but this is a very involved lab. I can do it by myself, but I will definitely let the prof know he did nothing and I'm not putting his name on it either.
Hmmm :frown: The same stupid partner again, I guess??

Did you speak to him last time that you didn't like it that he didn't do much?? He should have gotten the message.
Maybe it's better to do the work by yourself and just tell the prof that he didn't do anything. It serves him well!! Doing this kinds of things to people is just not done, he should understand it.

Yep same one. -_-

I spoke to him about it but he just looked at me blankly LOL

Yep same one. -_-

I spoke to him about it but he just looked at me blankly LOL
Then speak to your prof. Don't feel bad about it, he should have changed his way.

I was in a group once where one person did not cooperate. So in the end we wrote in our reports exactly what everybody did. Maybe that's something you could do to?

Unless theres a pattern of error then no don't double check your mate's work. Super precise measurements are really needed if you're just wasting time. This is a classroom and not an actual lab. Your work isn't really going to mean much.

Not to mean to slack off and rush through things either.

But I dunno I've never really experienced this, I've always worked with friends during labs. I've always hated chem though so I was always the slacker in doing the actual experiments and measurements. I generally tried to sit back and do all the mental work.

Then speak to your prof. Don't feel bad about it, he should have changed his way.

I was in a group once where one person did not cooperate. So in the end we wrote in our reports exactly what everybody did. Maybe that's something you could do to?
Thanks micromass, I would not like to see him get an "F" but at this point there is nothing I can do. Who knows, maybe he partnered up with one of the other teams in class without notifying me...although I really doubt it because our prof said we have to keep the same partner(s)--no exceptions. Still no contact so I am just going to finish it up. I am SO happy I started working on it lol.
Unless theres a pattern of error then no don't double check your mate's work. Super precise measurements are really needed if you're just wasting time. This is a classroom and not an actual lab. Your work isn't really going to mean much.

Not to mean to slack off and rush through things either.

But I dunno I've never really experienced this, I've always worked with friends during labs. I've always hated chem though so I was always the slacker in doing the actual experiments and measurements. I generally tried to sit back and do all the mental work.
Thanks Chunkysalsa :) I have never worked with friends in lab, but I am being more mindful of how I come across since starting this thread. I definitely do not want to make anyone feel as if I am underestimating them.

Dembadon

Gold Member

Hi HeLiXe, :smile:

If your tone in-person is anything like your posts on PF, then I don't think you need to worry about how you're coming across to others. Your peers should feel extremely fortunate to have you as a lab partner and should be appreciative of your meticulousness. I've read many of your posts and find you to be one of the most considerate, humble, and respectful members of this community.

Thanks Dembadon :redface::blushing::blushing: lol I am so bad at handling good compliments lol. That is very kind of you :)