Ladder leaning on a wall problem -- Please help me

• Thread starter GermaniumGerbil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the problem involves a ladder resting against a vertical wall at an angle of 30 degrees with a man of 720N climbing at point M. The ladder is 8m long and weighs 200N, with a coefficient of friction of 0.25 for both surfaces. The goal is to determine the distance from point B at which the man should stand for the ladder to be at the point of slipping. Using forces and moments, it is found that the man should stand 3.66m from point B. However, it is also noted that the problem could be solved using Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation.
GermaniumGerbil

Homework Statement

A ladder 8m long weighing 200N is resting against a rough vertical wall. A man of 720N climbs the ladder at point M. Take the coefficient of friction for both surfaces to be 0.25.

The top of the ladder is point A and the bottom is B. The ladder makes an angle of 30 degress to the wall.

http://postimg.org/image/syqq80ij7/
Here's the link to the image in case the picture isn't showing...
http://s29.postimg.org/v3b393k5z/Untitled.png

Homework Equations

How far should the man stand, from B, such that the ladder is at the point of slipping?

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking upwards as positive...
ΣForcesx = RA - FfA = 0
∴ RA = μRB ⇒ 0.25RB

Taking the rightward direction as positive...
ΣForcesy = FfB - 200N - 720N + RB = 0
∴ μRA + RB = 920N
∴ 0.25(0.25RB) + RB = 920N
∴ 0.0625RB + RB = 920N
∴ RB(0.0625 + 1) = 920N
∴ RB = 865.8823529N

∴RA = 0.25RB
∴RA = 0.25 x 865.8823529N
∴RA = 216.4705882N

Taking clockwise as positive...
ΣMomentsB = -(720sin30)(x) - (200sin30)(4m) + (RAcos30)(8m) + (FfAcos60)(8m) = 0
∴ 360x - 400 + (216.4705882cos30)(8m) + (μRAcos60)(8m) = 0
∴ 360x - 400 + 1499.752228 + ((0.25)(216.4705882cos60))(8m) = 0
∴ 360x - 400 + 1499.752228 + 216.4705882 = 0
∴ 360x = -1316.222816
∴ x = -3.656174489m

∴x = 3.66m?

The official final answer wasn't given and I'm quite certain that I made a mistake somewhere. On the internet, I've only seen ladder questions where only one of the surfaces is rough. Please help me! Many thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure forces are what I'd be looking at. You are almost doing it towards the end. The ladder will not fall, it will slide and spin. What's Newtons 2nd law equivalent for rotational motion?

Also, it will be useful to keep in mind that an object which is not locked down (like a pivot point) will rotate about it's center of mass.

I would start by solving the problem completely algebraically, i.e., not inserting the actual values until the very end but instead represent the forces by variables. This will help you in discovering unphysical errors and it will help us to understand your solution better without gritting out every single number.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I'm not so sure forces are what I'd be looking at. You are almost doing it towards the end. The ladder will not fall, it will slide and spin. What's Newtons 2nd law equivalent for rotational motion?

Also, it will be useful to keep in mind that an object which is not locked down (like a pivot point) will rotate about it's center of mass.
Thank you for your response! Unfortunately I'm going to have to tell you that my lecturer hasn't introduced me to the concept of Newton's 2nd Law of Rotation yet, so this problem has to be attempted solely by forces and moments. I will however do research into the 2nd Law of rotation and apply it to this question! Thank you so much!

Orodruin said:
I would start by solving the problem completely algebraically, i.e., not inserting the actual values until the very end but instead represent the forces by variables. This will help you in discovering unphysical errors and it will help us to understand your solution better without gritting out every single number.
I shall do this! Where I'm from, we have a tendency to not use variables when answering questions. Thanks so much for your input!

Please explain what RA and RB are. Why do you think you made a mistake?

Last edited:
N2L for rotation uses moments. It's ##T = I \alpha##.

This is what needs to be applied in this case.

lep11 said:
Reaction Force at A and Reaction Force at B.
lep11 said:
RA and RB are the reaction forces at point A and point B. :)

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
N2L for rotation uses moments. It's ##T = I \alpha##.

This is what needs to be applied in this case.
To be exact T here is the net torque or ΣT=Iα. I think he already have applied that by setting ΣMomentsB = 0

Last edited:
GermaniumGerbil said:
RA and RB are the reaction forces at point A and point B. :)
Yes, but they are called normal forces because they're always perpendicular to the surface, right? You didn't answer my question though. Why do you think you made a mistake?

lep11 said:
To be exact T here is the net torque or ΣT=Iα. I think he already have applied that by setting ΣMomentsB = 0
It was stated that the ladder is "at the point of slipping" which is another way of saying that the system is in equilibrium. This is why I let the sum of the moments equal to zero.

lep11 said:
Yes, but they are called normal forces because they're always perpendicular to the surface, right? You didn't answer my question though. Why do you think you made a mistake?
I think I made a mistake because the original answer was a negative value. In a second post I typed out why I thought I was wrong, but I suppose it didn't go through. I apologise for this. As for the Reaction forces, "Reaction Force" is another name for normal force.

GermaniumGerbil said:
Taking clockwise as positive
That probably gave you negative answer. I mean, torques are positive counter-clockwise and negative clockwise. (right-hand-rule)

Last edited:
It a
lep11 said:
That probably gave you negative answer. I mean, torques are positive counter-clockwise and negative clockwise. (right-hand-rule)
It actually doesn't matter if I take clockwise as positive or not, because I let the sum of all the moments about point B equal to zero, thus implying that the sum of the clockwise moments are equal to the sum of the anti-clockwise moments about B. The right hand rule is relative to finding the direction of magnetic force. This, however, is a mechanics question.

Last edited:

1. What is the ladder leaning on a wall problem?

The ladder leaning on a wall problem is a classic physics problem that involves a ladder leaning against a vertical wall. The goal is to determine the angle the ladder makes with the ground, as well as the forces acting on the ladder and the wall.

2. How do I solve the ladder leaning on a wall problem?

To solve the problem, you will need to draw a free-body diagram and apply Newton's laws of motion. The forces acting on the ladder include the weight of the ladder, the normal force from the ground, and the force of friction. The forces acting on the wall include the normal force from the ladder and the force of friction.

3. What information do I need to solve the ladder leaning on a wall problem?

You will need to know the length and weight of the ladder, as well as the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground and between the ladder and the wall. Additionally, you will need to know the distance between the bottom of the ladder and the wall.

4. Can I use trigonometry to solve the ladder leaning on a wall problem?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to solve the problem. You can use the tangent function to determine the angle the ladder makes with the ground, and the cosine function to determine the force of friction acting on the ladder and the wall.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the ladder leaning on a wall problem?

Yes, the ladder leaning on a wall problem has real-world applications in engineering, construction, and safety. For example, engineers may use this problem to calculate the maximum weight a ladder can hold while ensuring it does not slip or topple over. Additionally, understanding the forces involved in this problem can help improve ladder safety measures.