Finding Normal Reaction and Friction Force on a Ladder Leaning Against a Wall

• Thread starter kell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the man on the ladder experiences a force of mgx*sinθ towards the ground, which is too much for the force of FNW acting at the base of the ladder.
kell
Hi all, this is a problem with which I led myself in circles with for hours, because I kept forgetting to factor in a different thing each time. Long story short, I thought I'd cracked it, but my answer and the given answer are out by a square. Please see my efforts below!

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder of mass M and length L stands on rough horizontal ground and leans against a vertical wall with which it makes an angle θ. A man of mass m stands on the ladder a distance x from the bottom.

a) obtain expressions for the normal reaction and the friction force acting at the point of contact between the ladder and the ground.

Homework Equations

The normal is obviously (m+M)g.

Other than that, it's static equilibrium, and the equation I used for balancing was the moments, where τNW is the moment due to the normal FNW to the wall at the top of the ladder, and τMg and τmg are the two moments of the ladder and man:

1. τNW = τMg + τmg

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty simple. I have the ladder to be length L, so I set the origin of turning at the base of the ladder. I want to find FNW because it's equal to the frictional force FF at the base of the ladder.

The radius component for the moment τNW is this Lcosθ. The moment is thus: FNWLcosθ.
The radius component for τMg is (L/2)sinθ, and for τmg is (x/L)sinθ.
So the two moments are: [(MgL)/2]sinθ and [(mgx)/L]sinθ

Equation 1. then becomes:

FNWLcosθ = [(MgL)/2]sinθ + [(mgx)/L]sinθ

Which evidently becomes, solving for FNW:

FNW = (M/2 + mx/L2)gtanθ

In the given answer, the mx/L2 term is simply mx/L. But the position of the man along the ladder was given as x from the bottom, so this should be written x/L, right? Which means dividing out the L on the FNW side will always create a squared term.

Any insight appreciated.

Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
kell said:
The radius component for the moment τNW is this Lcosθ. The moment is thus: FNWLcosθ.
The radius component for τMg is (L/2)sinθ, and for τmg is (x/L)sinθ.
So the two moments are: [(MgL)/2]sinθ and [(mgx)/L]sinθ

The moment arm of mg should be x sinθ ,not (x/L)sinθ .The distance of the man is given from the bottom of the ladder .This distance is x not x/L .Just as the moment arm of Mg is (L/2)sinθ,likewise that of mg will be x sinθ .The torque due to mg ,τmg=mgxsinθ.

This will give you the correct answer.

Likes 1 person
Why would there be an extra L? Your "man" term in the equation is not dimensionally consistent with the other two terms. Your term would be correct if he were at a fractional location x/L of the total ladder length. But that's not the case. He is at an absolute distance x up the ladder.

Likes 1 person
This formula is obviously wrong:

FNW = (M/2 + mx/L2)gtanθ

The second term in the parenthesis has units of mass/length so you cannot add it to the M/2.

Now why did you get this?
You misinterpret the meaning of x.
They say "distance x from the bottom". So x is clearly a distance, in meters or whatever unit you use.

The moment of the force should be a force times a distance. For the weight of the man, the "radius component" is x*sinθ so the moment will be mgx*sinθ.
I don't really see why would you think to divide by L.

Edit. Sorry, I was writing (slowly :)) while Chestermiller posted already.

Yup, you're all clearly correct. Thanks so much for pointing it out. I really don't know why I was trying to divide by the L. I had established it way early on in my workings and didn't think to question it later. Losing the forest for the trees!

Cheers everyone :)

1. What is a ladder against a wall used for?

A ladder against a wall is commonly used for reaching high places, such as shelves or roofs, for maintenance or construction purposes.

2. How do you safely set up a ladder against a wall?

To safely set up a ladder against a wall, make sure the ladder is on a stable and level surface, the base is secure, and the top of the ladder is placed against the wall at a 75-degree angle. Always have someone hold the ladder at the base while you climb.

3. How do you choose the right ladder for a specific task?

The right ladder for a task depends on the height you need to reach and the weight it will need to support. Make sure to choose a ladder that is tall enough and has a weight capacity that exceeds your weight and the weight of any tools or materials you will be carrying.

4. What are the main safety precautions to take when using a ladder against a wall?

Some safety precautions to take when using a ladder against a wall include making sure the ladder is on a stable surface, using the correct ladder for the task, and having someone hold the ladder while you climb. It is also important to keep the ladder at a 75-degree angle and to never stand on the top rung.

5. Can a ladder against a wall be used on uneven surfaces?

No, a ladder against a wall should only be used on a stable and level surface. Using a ladder on an uneven surface increases the risk of the ladder tipping over and causing injury.