Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ladder operators and matrix elements..

1. Sep 26, 2015 #1
    Please I need your help in such problems..
    in terms of ladder operators to simplify the calculation of matrix elements... calculate those
    i) <u+2|P2|u>
    ii) <u+1| X3|u>
    If u is different in both sides, then the value is 0? is it right it is 0 fir both i and ii?
    when exactly equals 0, please explain slowly, my background is chemistry and not physics..
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

You'll need to supply a bit more context...

I guess P and X are momentum and position operators respectively? But what is your "u"?

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3
    Well, in terms of ladder operators, X= (h/2mw)1/2(a+a+) you can say = constant (a+a+) it is a real
    P=i(hwm/2)1/2 (a-a+) or constant (a-a+)
    about u and u+1 are functions; some books write them like this and others write PSI or PHI of subscript u and u+1;I couldn't type that way as there is no symbols here.
    a+a=n occupation number operator , [a,a+]=1

If needed I can give an example I know..

5. Sep 27, 2015 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm assuming that [itex]|u\rangle[/itex] means the state such that the number operator [itex]N = a^\dagger a[/itex] has value [itex]u[/itex]? In that case, it's completely straight-forward, if tedious, to compute expressions such as

[itex]\langle u+2 | P^2 | u \rangle[/itex]

Just write [itex]P[/itex] in terms of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger[/itex], and apply the rules:

[itex]a |u\rangle = \sqrt{u} |u - 1\rangle[/itex]
    [itex]a^\dagger |u\rangle = \sqrt{u+1} |u+1\rangle[/itex]
    [itex] \langle n | m \rangle = 0[/itex] if [itex]n \neq m[/itex]
    [itex]\langle n | n \rangle = 1[/itex]

So [itex]P^2 = A (a^2 - a a^\dagger - a^\dagger a + (a^\dagger)^2)[/itex] (for some constant [itex]A[/itex])
    [itex]P^2 | u \rangle = A (a^2 |u \rangle - a a^\dagger |u\rangle - a^\dagger a |u\rangle + (a^\dagger)^2 |u\rangle)[/itex]

Then you just work out what [itex]a^2 |u\rangle[/itex] is, etc.

6. Sep 27, 2015 #5
    ok great. I know till this step, my question is to separate these operations and get the final out put like this
    <u+2|aa|u> - <u+2|aa+|u> - <u+1|a+a|u>.... so on
    and solve each one on its own, when I get any different matrix output, the term equals 0; like <u+1|u> or <u+2|u-1>... right? Cuz my confusion is about this part.

the other part is how to work a3,, if aaa, the 1st one from left operates with the left , and the 1st a from right operates with the right function of the matrix, the middle a operator works with which function.. as it gives different values..
    I am sorry for my silly questions, cuz this what I miss and can not find in books; it seems like a bases that I do not have.

7. Sep 27, 2015 #6

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, just look at the term

[itex]\langle u+2|a\ a|u \rangle[/itex]

Use the rule: [itex]a |u\rangle = \sqrt{u} |u - 1\rangle[/itex]. So that term simplifies(?) to:

[itex]\langle u+2|a\ a|u \rangle = \sqrt{u} \langle u + 2 | a | u-1\rangle[/itex]

Use the same rule again: [itex]a |u-1\rangle = \sqrt{u-1} |u - 2\rangle[/itex]. So we have:

[itex]\langle u+2|a\ a|u \rangle = \sqrt{u(u-1)}| \langle u + 2 | u-2\rangle[/itex]

which is zero.

The only term you're going to get a nonzero result for is:

[itex]\langle u+2|a^\dagger\ a^\dagger|u \rangle[/itex]

8. Sep 27, 2015 #7

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, this should probably be in the Advanced Physics Homework section.

9. Sep 27, 2015 #8
    Thank you so much for this clarification.. it is very helpful.
    Next time I will follow the right section.. new here.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook