Ladies and Gentlemen Voyager 1 Has Left the Solar System

In summary, NASA's press release of 14 June 2012 states that Voyager 1 has already encountered solar wind moving laterally with respect to the solar surface, and even in net retrograde motion with respect to the solar surface, which would mean that she's passed through the limit of solar influence capable of deflecting the interstellar medium, and has observed the interstellar medium deflecting solar influence. If the density of charged particles in the vicinity of the spacecraft has INCREASED, then this can only mean that she is currently in the "bow shock", which is where interstellar winds would tend to pile up in front of the solar system as it flies through interstellar space.
OmCheeto said:
Wow. That sucker was launched the year I graduated from high school. What the hell has kept it going?

google google google

13 more years!

That is freaking awesome. I'll be 66 years old, and probably ready for the permanap myself.

:zzz:

Someday hopefully we can pick it up and give it a ride home on a nuclear fusion or antimatter propulsion craft.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
rethipher said:
I'm glad at least some of our race views this as important. This is the epitome of what our curiosity is capable of!

To me it is very important. There are only a few remnants of the human race and of the Earth that will be left around after the Sun shifts into a Red Giant and encompasses the Earth.

As of now, this is what will be left from the entire history of humanity.

• Pioneer 10
  • Pioneer 11
  • Voyager 2
  • Voyager 1
  • New Horizons

Smalltalk said:
To me it is very important. There are only a few remnants of the human race and of the Earth that will be left around after the Sun shifts into a Red Giant and encompasses the Earth.

As of now, this is what will be left from the entire history of humanity.

• Pioneer 10
  • Pioneer 11
  • Voyager 2
  • Voyager 1
  • New Horizons
Cassini and Huygens? Saturn should survive the end of the sun.
Dawn, Rosetta, NEAR Shoemaker and similar asteorid probes could survive, too.
And there is still a lot of time left to add more objects.

Ahh yes, those should be around. Now we just need to make more and more.

Smalltalk said:
Ahh yes, those should be around. Now we just need to make more and more.

Just curious: Why should we?

What amazes me most about this is that as I'm sitting here at my desk that man made object just keeps on getting further and further away, to look up at the night sky right now and to think that somewhere out there is the voyager just plowing on forward.

11.5billion miles and counting, seems so far yet on a cosmic scale it hasn't moved much at all. 24.7trillion miles to the next closest star...

This may have already been mentioned, but Voyager hasn't left the Solar System entirely - it still needs to make it's way outside of the Sun's magnetosphere.

mfb said:
Cassini and Huygens? Saturn should survive the end of the sun.
Dawn, Rosetta, NEAR Shoemaker and similar asteorid probes could survive, too.
And there is still a lot of time left to add more objects.

Speaking of Dawn, the spacecraft is now en route to Ceres, as I understand. Ceres has been conjectured to have a water ice mantle comprising about as much as is in all the fresh water bodies of earth. I'm not sure about this or what it would amount to, you may have more recent information.

Ceres has appealed to me for some time as a nice place to live (if as conjectured) because one could find shelter by tunneling down into the water ice. It might be quite lovely, if there were a source of artificial light, together with some plant and animal life.

Does that make sense to you?
===================

Rosetta, if I remember correctly, is supposed to land on a comet and bolt itself to the surface so that it can ride in towards the sun with the comet and observe how things go as they whip around the sun. This seems to me like a beautiful exploit. I wish it luck. It will be there as the surface begins to boil away to make the comet's tail.
===================

I suppose that humanity's aspirations will live on in its robotic craft which are just now beginning to populate the solar system. And there will still be places for meat people to live too. A stubborn and ingenious life form does not have to be afraid of its star's ramped up luminosity (or even its eventual red giant phase, should it come to that.)

Last edited: