What is the significance of lag time in a hydrograph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of lag time in a hydrograph and the labeling of a figure related to this concept. The speaker also mentions the use of N in estimating the duration of direct run off and the return to base line flow in a natural basin.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

Lag time in hydrograph means teh time of center of rainfall to center of hydrograph , according to my book .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since lag time can be understood by the time taken for the water to reach river , contributing to max discharge ... So , i think in photo 755 , it's wrongly labelled , it sjould be labelled in the beginning of the graph , which is the green line , correct me if i am wrong.

Attachments

• 754.PNG
    754.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 451
  • 755.png
    755.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not understanding your question. is point "A" the center of the rainfall?

Not my field but...

I don't think figure 6.5 is being used to define N. They quote a value of N for a typical "natural basin".

It appears they are just using N to estimate where on the graph the Direct Run Off (eg from a rain shower) ends and the flow returns to the base line flow (which itself is changing).

1. What is lag time in hydrograph?

Lag time in hydrograph refers to the delay between the peak rainfall and the peak discharge of a river or stream. It is the time taken for water to travel from the point of rainfall to the point of discharge.

2. How is lag time calculated?

Lag time is calculated by finding the time difference between the peak rainfall and the peak discharge on a hydrograph. This can be done by measuring the time it takes for the water to travel from the point of rainfall to the point of discharge.

3. What factors can affect lag time in hydrograph?

There are several factors that can affect lag time in hydrograph, including the size and shape of the watershed, land use, soil type, and topography. Human activities such as urbanization and deforestation can also impact lag time.

4. Why is lag time important in hydrograph analysis?

Lag time is important in hydrograph analysis because it can help identify the characteristics of a watershed and the potential for flooding. It can also be used to assess the impact of land use changes on the hydrological cycle and inform flood risk management strategies.

5. Can lag time be manipulated?

Lag time is primarily determined by natural factors such as topography and land use, but it can be influenced by human activities. For example, land use changes or the construction of dams can alter the flow of water and ultimately affect lag time. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impacts of manipulating lag time on the environment and surrounding communities.