1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lag time in hydrograph

1. Dec 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lag time in hydrograph means teh time of center of rainfall to center of hydrograph , according to my book .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since lag time can be understood by the time taken for the water to reach river , contributing to max discharge ... So , i think in photo 755 , it's wrongly labelled , it sjould be labelled in the beginning of the graph , which is the green line , correct me if i am wrong.

Attached Files:

• 754.PNG
      754.PNG
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
    • 755.png
      755.png
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not understanding your question. is point "A" the center of the rainfall?

4. Jan 24, 2018 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not my field but...

I don't think figure 6.5 is being used to define N. They quote a value of N for a typical "natural basin".

It appears they are just using N to estimate where on the graph the Direct Run Off (eg from a rain shower) ends and the flow returns to the base line flow (which itself is changing).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted