Lagrangian question, inverted pendulum (Very near to the answer)

In summary, the conversation discusses a setup with a cart of mass M moving along the x-axis and a suspended mass m attached to a rigid rod of length L. Frictional forces are ignored and the Lagrangian and equations of motion are deemed correct. It is suggested that A1 must be zero for the solution to not blow up at infinity, and the initial conditions can be used to solve for A2 and A. Additionally, there is discussion about the values of β in the characteristic equation.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Consider the setup shown in the gure below. The cart of mass M moves along
the (horizontal) x axis. A second mass m is suspended at the end of a rigid, massless
rod of length L. The rod is attached to the cart at point A, and is free to pivot about A in the x-y plane. Frictional forces may be ignored.

72evc1.jpg

Homework Equations

I got the same lagrangian as in wikipedia, so i think it's right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_pendulum

The Attempt at a Solution

abvekBMO.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Lagrangian and equations of motions are correct. I'm pretty sure A1 has to be zero so that your solution does not blow up at infinity. Then you can use the initial conditions given in the problem to solve for A2 and A

tannerbk said:
Your Lagrangian and equations of motions are correct. I'm pretty sure A1 has to be zero so that your solution does not blow up at infinity. Then you can use the initial conditions given in the problem to solve for A2 and A

I know right? But I can't find any mathematical reason why A1 = 0...I get 2 values of β in the characteristic equation where α = A*exp(βt)..

1. What is the Lagrangian question?

The Lagrangian question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the equations of motion for a physical system using the Lagrangian formalism, which is based on the principle of least action.

2. What is an inverted pendulum?

An inverted pendulum is a physical system consisting of a pendulum attached to a pivot point that is above the pendulum's center of mass. This results in the pendulum being in an unstable equilibrium position, requiring constant energy input to maintain its upright position.

3. How is the Lagrangian question related to an inverted pendulum?

The Lagrangian question is often used to solve for the equations of motion for an inverted pendulum system. By applying the principle of least action, the Lagrangian can be determined and used to find the equations of motion that describe the pendulum's behavior.

4. What is the significance of studying inverted pendulums?

Inverted pendulums are commonly used as a model system in control theory and robotics. By understanding the dynamics of an inverted pendulum, researchers can develop control strategies for stabilizing the system and apply these principles to more complex systems.

5. How can the Lagrangian question be solved for an inverted pendulum?

The Lagrangian question can be solved using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which relate the Lagrangian to the system's equations of motion. These equations can then be solved to determine the pendulum's behavior and stability.