1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial Conditions Applied to a Lagrangian

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The scenario is a pendulum of length l and mass m2 attached to a mass of m1 which is allowed to slide along the horizontal with no friction. The support mass moves along in the X direction and the pendulum swings through the x-y plane with an angle θ with the vertical. After finding the Lagrangian and the Euler-Lagrange equations for each of the two variables X and θ, apply the conditions
    $$\theta(0)=\theta_{0}<<1\text{ but greater than 0}\\
    \dot{\theta}(0)=0\\
    X(0)=0\\
    \dot{X}(0)=0$$
    to get the motion for θ and X.
    2. Relevant equations
    I have derived the Lagrangian of this to be
    $$L=\frac{1}{2}(m_{1}+m_{2})\dot{X}^{2}+m_{2}l\cos\theta\dot{\theta}\dot{X}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}l^{2}\dot{\theta}^{2}+m_{2}gl\cos\theta$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello vs, :welcome:

Post needs some adjusting to the PF guidelines. What relevant equations do you have to continue this exercise ? What you mention now is an intermediate result (which I think is right, but I didn't check it - will do so if you show the steps :smile: ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted