Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle

In summary, the problem is trying to find the Lagrangian and solving the E-L equations for a mass hanging from a massless string, with the pendulum pivot moving in a horizontal circle at constant angular velocity. The attempt at a solution is stuck at defining the coordinates of the mass.
tomdodd4598
Homework Statement
The problem is the following: Using a Lagrangian, find the equations of motion of a mass hanging from a massless string, with the pendulum pivot moving in a horizontal circle at constant angular velocity. I take the mass to be m, the length of the string L, the radius of the circle the pivot traces R and the angular velocity ω.

The attempt at a solution
I believe I am capable of finding the Lagrangian and solving the E-L equations, but I am stuck at defining the coordinates of the mass - it surely needs to be related to the moving pivot but am not sure how, and also don't know which coordinate system I should use.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can choose any coordinate system you like. Some choices might be easier than others. It is probably useful to have the coordinate system centered at the center of the circle, for example.
The pendulum has two degrees of freedom that you can parametrize.

Likes tomdodd4598
mfb said:
You can choose any coordinate system you like. Some choices might be easier than others. It is probably useful to have the coordinate system centered at the center of the circle, for example.
The pendulum has two degrees of freedom that you can parametrize.

I think I have found a coordinate system which will work, but I'm still not sure - here is a diagram and the Cartesian coordinates in terms of my chosen parameters (V is the potential energy so don't worry about that):

dACFgnp.jpg

Are these valid (I ask because I am a little unsure about the cos/sin ωt terms in the second parts of the x and y transformations)?

##\theta## is relative to the x axis? Then you don't need the ##\omega t##. Otherwise you have to add the two angles and take the cosine (sine) of the sum.

mfb said:
##\theta## is relative to the x axis? Then you don't need the ##\omega t##. Otherwise you have to add the two angles and take the cosine (sine) of the sum.
Ok, finally worked it out, removing the cos/sin ωt on the ends of the x and y coordinates - thanks for the help!

1. What is a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle?

A Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle is a scientific setup in which a pendulum is attached to a pivot that moves in a horizontal circular motion. This setup is used to study the behavior of pendulums in various types of motion.

2. How does a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle work?

In this setup, the pivot is attached to a rotating mechanism which causes it to move in a horizontal circular motion. As the pivot moves, it also changes the direction of the pendulum's motion, creating a circular path for the pendulum to follow.

3. What factors affect the motion of a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle?

The motion of a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle can be affected by various factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the speed and direction of the pivot's motion, and the force of gravity.

4. What are the applications of studying a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle?

Studying a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle can help scientists understand the principles of circular motion, as well as the behavior of pendulums in different types of motion. This setup is also commonly used to demonstrate the concept of centripetal force and its effects on an object's motion.

5. Can a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle be used to measure time?

Yes, a Pendulum with Pivot Moving in Horizontal Circle can be used as a timer by measuring the period of the pendulum's motion. The period is the time taken for the pendulum to complete one full swing, which remains constant as long as the length and mass of the pendulum remain unchanged.