Lagrangian under transformation

Therefore, you can't get the same answer, and are stuck with an apparent contradiction.In summary, the gauge transformation of A\rightarrow A +\nabla \Psi(r,t) and \phi \rightarrow \phi - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} changes the Lagrangian of a single particle moving in an electromagnetic field by adding a term involving the time derivative of \Psi, with an apparent contradiction due to an extraneous factor of c in the problem statement.
kaksmet

Homework Statement

How does the gauge transformation

[itex]A\rightarrow A +\nabla \Psi(r,t) \\
\phi \rightarrow \phi - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}[/itex]

change the Lagrangian and the motion of a single particle moving in an electromagnetic field.

Homework Equations

The Lagrangian before the transformation
[itex]L=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} -q\phi + q A\cdot v[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to a solution that looks like

[itex]L' =\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} -q\phi + q A\cdot v + q\frac{d\Phi}{dt} + q\left(\frac{1}{c}-1\right)\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t}[/itex]
the factor of 1/c could be the problem. I cannot see the motion of the particle changing because of the transformation and I know that the lagrangian can be changed by the time derivative of a function without changing the equations of motion. However because of the factor I still have partial time derivatives left in the solution which troubles me. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kaksmet said:

Homework Statement

How does the gauge transformation

[itex]A\rightarrow A +\nabla \Psi(r,t) \\
\phi \rightarrow \phi - \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}[/itex]

change the Lagrangian and the motion of a single particle moving in an electromagnetic field.

Homework Equations

The Lagrangian before the transformation
[itex]L=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} -q\phi + q A\cdot v[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to a solution that looks like

[itex]L' =\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} -q\phi + q A\cdot v + q\frac{d\Phi}{dt} + q\left(\frac{1}{c}-1\right)\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t}[/itex]
the factor of 1/c could be the problem. I cannot see the motion of the particle changing because of the transformation and I know that the lagrangian can be changed by the time derivative of a function without changing the equations of motion. However because of the factor I still have partial time derivatives left in the solution which troubles me. Anyone know what could be wrong?

do you mean Psi instead of phi in your last two terms?

In any case, it's clear that there is something not right since the units don't make sense.
What is surely happening is that somewhere (probably in the lagrangian) natural units are used so that c was set equal to one. I don't have my books to verify but I am sure this is what happened (it's probably cq phi in the lagrangian). Did you take the two equations (gauge transfos and the lagrangian) from the same book? Even then, some books are not careful and include the factors of c's in some places and not in other places. I would simply set c=1 in your gauge transformation (or double check another reference which would give the lagrangian with the factors of c shown explicitly)

Thanks nrqed, you nailed it.

Is this from Goldstein's Classical Mechanics? Look up the errata. I remember doing this problem, and the problem statement in the book has an extraneous factor of c somewhere.

1. What is the Lagrangian under transformation?

The Lagrangian under transformation refers to the mathematical concept in physics where the equations of motion for a system are invariant under a specific transformation. This means that the equations remain the same even after a transformation is applied to the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian under transformation used in physics?

The Lagrangian under transformation is used to determine the equations of motion for a system by finding the stationary points of the action integral, which is defined using the Lagrangian. This allows for a more elegant and efficient way of solving complex physical problems.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian under transformation?

The Lagrangian under transformation is significant because it is a fundamental tool in classical mechanics and is widely used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. It provides a powerful and unified approach to solving problems in these fields.

4. How does the Lagrangian under transformation relate to symmetries?

The Lagrangian under transformation is closely related to symmetries in physics. In fact, the invariance of the equations of motion under a specific transformation is often linked to a symmetry of the system. This allows for a deeper understanding of the physical laws governing the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian under transformation?

While the Lagrangian under transformation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all physical systems, and in some cases, the equations of motion may be difficult to solve analytically. Additionally, the Lagrangian may not be invariant under certain transformations, leading to incorrect equations of motion.