Langrange's Mean Value Theorem question

In summary: Somewhere along the line, f' would have to become zero. But that's just one possible solution. There are many others.The function f is differentiable only at x = c.
Ryuzaki

Homework Statement

Find a function f on [-1,1] such that :-

(a) there exists c [itex]\in[/itex] (-1,1) such that f'(c) = 0 and
(b) f(a) [itex]\neq[/itex] f(b) for any a[itex]\neq[/itex] b [itex]\in[/itex] [-1,1]

Homework Equations

Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem (LMVT), which states that if f:[a,b]-->ℝ is a function which is continuous in [a,b] and differentiable in (a,b), there exists some c[itex]\in[/itex] (a,b) such that f'(c) = (f(b) - f(a))/(b-a).

The Attempt at a Solution

If f was said to be differentiable in (-1,1), then it's quite easy to prove that such a function cannot exist, using LMVT. But here, nothing is said about the continuity or differentiability of f in (-1,1). The function could just be differentiable at the point x = c.

I'm quite sure that such a function cannot exist. However, this is purely intuitive, and I'm unable to prove it. Can someone please hint on a proof, or an example if there's any?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryuzaki said:
If f was said to be differentiable in (-1,1), then it's quite easy to prove that such a function cannot exist, using LMVT.
I don't see that. In fact, I don't see the relevance of LMVT here. Were you told to use it somehow? Unless I've misunderstood something, there's quite an easy (and differentiable) solution.

Thank you, haruspex for your reply. No, I wasn't told to use LMVT, but that was the only way I could think of.

Well, what I had in mind was assuming that such a function f exists, which is continuous in [-1,1] and differentiable in (-1,1), and f(a) not equals f(b), for any a not equals b, in [-1,1] (Sorry for my abstinence from symbols, I'm typing from my phone). Then by LMVT, there would exist some c such that

f'(c) = (f(1) - f(-1))/(1-(-1))

Now, if f'(c) were to be 0, then essentially f(-1) = f(1).

But we assumed that, f(a) not equals f(b), for any a not equals b, yet we got f(-1) = f(1). Hence, our assumption is wrong, and therefore such a function cannot exist.

But the above proof relies on the assumption that f is continuous in [-1,1] and differentiable in (-1,1). But this need not be the case. From the question, what I understand is that f could very well be differentiable ONLY at x = c.

Could you share your thoughts on this, haruspex? Please don't give out the solution, as I'd like to have the pleasure of solving it on my own. Thanks.

Ryuzaki said:
Thank you, haruspex for your reply. No, I wasn't told to use LMVT, but that was the only way I could think of.

Well, what I had in mind was assuming that such a function f exists, which is continuous in [-1,1] and differentiable in (-1,1), and f(a) not equals f(b), for any a not equals b, in [-1,1] (Sorry for my abstinence from symbols, I'm typing from my phone). Then by LMVT, there would exist some c such that

f'(c) = (f(1) - f(-1))/(1-(-1))

Now, if f'(c) were to be 0, then essentially f(-1) = f(1).
Sure, there exists some c s.t. f'(c) = (f(1) - f(-1))/(1-(-1)), but why should f'(c)=0 for that c? f could quite easily be 0 somewhere else.
Think of some point at which f' is zero. Now extend f left and right satisfying f(a)≠f(b).

What is Langrange's Mean Value Theorem?

Langrange's Mean Value Theorem is a theorem in calculus that states that for a function that is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, there exists a point within the interval where the slope of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval.

What is the significance of Langrange's Mean Value Theorem?

Langrange's Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a way to prove the existence of a point where the slope of a function is equal to the average rate of change of the function. This allows for the application of calculus in solving real-world problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.

How is Langrange's Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

Langrange's Mean Value Theorem is used in calculus to prove the existence of critical points, which are points where the slope of a function is equal to zero. This allows for the application of calculus techniques, such as finding the derivative and solving optimization problems.

What are the conditions for Langrange's Mean Value Theorem to hold?

The conditions for Langrange's Mean Value Theorem to hold are that the function must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the endpoints of the interval must have the same function value.

What are some real-world applications of Langrange's Mean Value Theorem?

Some real-world applications of Langrange's Mean Value Theorem include determining the average speed of a moving object over a given interval, finding the optimal speed at which to drive a car to minimize travel time, and determining the optimal angle at which to launch a projectile to maximize distance traveled.