1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform of cos(at) * cos(bt)

1. Feb 21, 2006 #1
    I have to find the laplace transform of cos(at) * cos(bt) and express it as a ratio of two polynomials. I converted both of the cosines into exponentials, and took the laplace transform of those. I think I'm getting confused on the complex side of things.

I get a few things like e^(jt(a+b)), and e^(-jt(a+b)) so I use Euler's formula and get some cosines and jsines. So how do you find the laplace transform of say jsin(t(-a-b)). Shouldn't it just be j*s / (s^2 + (-a-b)^2)?

Except this does not yield the correct answer. Maybe I'm converting all of the transforms to one fraction incorrectly...?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2
    Do you mean to find the Laplace transform of [itex]\cos (at) * \cos (bt)[/itex] ? Where the [itex]*[/itex] denotes convolution? Or did you meant it as multiplication?

4. Feb 22, 2006 #3
    I assume he meant it as multiplication, since he is doing all of that work. I thought the same thing myself. If it were convolution it sure would make the problem a lot easier. :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?