Laplace Transform of cos(at) * cos(bt)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
seang
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
I have to find the laplace transform of cos(at) * cos(bt) and express it as a ratio of two polynomials. I converted both of the cosines into exponentials, and took the laplace transform of those. I think I'm getting confused on the complex side of things.

I get a few things like e^(jt(a+b)), and e^(-jt(a+b)) so I use Euler's formula and get some cosines and jsines. So how do you find the laplace transform of say jsin(t(-a-b)). Shouldn't it just be j*s / (s^2 + (-a-b)^2)?

Except this does not yield the correct answer. Maybe I'm converting all of the transforms to one fraction incorrectly...?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean to find the Laplace transform of [itex]\cos (at) * \cos (bt)[/itex] ? Where the [itex]*[/itex] denotes convolution? Or did you meant it as multiplication?
 
Corneo said:
Do you mean to find the Laplace transform of [itex]\cos (at) * \cos (bt)[/itex] ? Where the [itex]*[/itex] denotes convolution? Or did you meant it as multiplication?

I assume he meant it as multiplication, since he is doing all of that work. I thought the same thing myself. If it were convolution it sure would make the problem a lot easier. :p