Laplace Transformation and unit step func

In summary, the conversation involved finding the function f(t) in terms of unit step functions and using the shift theorem to express it in terms of the LaPlace transform. The correct result was obtained by integrating directly, but it is important to also learn to use the shift theorem for transforms of piecewise defined functions.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

I am given the following

[tex]f(t)= e^t[/tex] where 0<t<2

express the function f(t) in the terms of the unitstep func.

Homework Equations

I am told that the f(t) can be expressed

[tex]\mathcal{L}(f(t-a)u(t-a)) = e^{-as}F(s) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

where [tex]F(S) = \mathcal{L}(f(t))[/tex]

then

[tex]\mathcal{L}(f(t-0)u(t-0)) = \frac{1}{s} [/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{L}(f(t-2)u(t-2)) = e^{-2s} \frac{1}{s-1} [/tex]

I am told that I need to add the two together (what is my motivation for doing this?)

and if I do this I get

[tex]\mathcal{L}(F(s)) =\frac{1+e^{-2s}}{s(s-1)}[/tex]

what am I doing wrong here?

Best Regards
Susanne

edit: I have discovered that if I take the place integral

[tex]\mathcal{L}(f(t)) = \int _{0}^{2} e^{-st} \cdot e^{t} dt = \frac{e^{t-st}}{1-s}|_{t=0}^{2} = \frac{1-e^{2-2s}}{1-s}[/tex]

which is desired result according to the textbook. But how do I show that this can the found using the original method above?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you write your f(t) in terms of unit step functions you should get:

f(t) = et(u(t-2) - u(t))

= etu(t-2) - etu(t)

[Edit] signs wrong here, should be:

etu(t)-etu(t-2)

The first term is not in the form f(t-a)u(t-a). It is of the form f(t)u(t-a).

Have you had this form of the shift theorem:

L(f(t)u(t-a)) = e-asL(f(t+a)) ?

It is what you generally want for this type of transform. Try it and you will get your correct answer.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
When you write your f(t) in terms of unit step functions you should get:

f(t) = et(u(t-2) - u(t))

= etu(t-2) - etu(t)

The first term is not in the form f(t-a)u(t-a). It is of the form f(t)u(t-a).

Have you had this form of the shift theorem:

L(f(t)u(t-a)) = e-asL(f(t+a)) ?

It is what you generally want for this type of transform. Try it and you will get your correct answer.

Hi maybe this is stupid question the reason why you subtract is it because because it can be seen as an integral? And that being the reason why what I get with the integral is the same result?

"Hi maybe this is stupid question the reason why you subtract is it because because it can be seen as an integral? And that being the reason why what I get with the integral is the same result?"

No. etu(t-2) is zero up until t = 2, then it is et.
etu(t) agrees with et for t > 0.

Look at the graphs of those. You need to subtract the part for t > 2 to get 0 for t > 2. That is why you subtract the u(t-2) part.

For that reason, if b > a, u(t-a) - u(t-b) is sometimes called a filter function. Because if you multiply any f(t) by that what you get is just the portion of f(t) on [a,b] and zero elsewhere.

They are very useful in LaPlace transforms for taking transforms of piecewise defined functions.

You got the correct result when you integrated because you computed the transform directly and correctly. But you should still learn to do it with the shift theorem. Did you try what I suggested?

1. What is a Laplace transformation?

A Laplace transformation is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is particularly useful in solving differential equations and analyzing systems in engineering and physics.

2. How is the Laplace transformation related to the unit step function?

The Laplace transformation of the unit step function is 1/s, where s is the complex frequency variable. This relationship is often used to solve differential equations involving the unit step function.

3. What is the purpose of using the unit step function in Laplace transformations?

The unit step function is used to represent a sudden change or discontinuity in a system. In Laplace transformations, it helps to simplify the analysis of systems with sudden changes, making it easier to solve the resulting equations.

4. How do you apply the Laplace transformation to a unit step function?

To apply the Laplace transformation to a unit step function, you first express the function in terms of t (time). Then, you integrate the function from 0 to t with respect to t, and finally, you take the Laplace transform of the resulting integral.

5. Can the Laplace transformation be used for any function?

Yes, the Laplace transformation can be applied to any function, as long as the function satisfies certain conditions such as being piecewise continuous and decaying at infinity. However, for some functions, the Laplace transformation may not exist or may be difficult to compute.