Laplace Transforms of Kirchhoff's Laws

In summary, the problem is asking for an explicit expression of the voltage across each element in a system as a function of time, but he gives us three equations where the voltage is already in respect to time. Can anyone help decode this?
rdfloyd
Back again with another problem. These transforms are difficult...

Homework Statement

Had to take a screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/LM38A.png

The Attempt at a Solution

His instructions are to take the Laplace Transform of each of Kirchhoff's laws. However, when we do, nothing useful comes out of them. I'm completely stuck as to what the problem is asking for.

The question (I think) asks: "Find the voltage across each element as a function of time." But he gives us 3 equations where the voltage is already in respect to time. Can anyone help decode this?

EDIT: Sorry mods. Didn't realize this was Advanced physics. >.<

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the wording of the question, it looks like this is from a differential equations course. Am I right? :smile:

You're looking for an explicit expression of each current as a function of time, like IL(t) = I0e-t/τ cos ωt where you say what the constants τ and ω are equal to in terms of R, L, and C.

You have three unknowns: IL, IR, and IC. You have two equations, e.g., ΔVC=ΔVL and ΔVR=ΔVL, which will allow you to write two of the currents in terms of the third one. (The third condition, ΔVC=ΔVR, automatically follows from the other two, so it's not independent.) You can therefore write IR+IL+IC=0 in terms of just one of the currents and solve for it.

He wants an explicit expression for the voltage across R. Not the integro-differential equations he gave you.

vela said:
From the wording of the question, it looks like this is from a differential equations course. Am I right? :smile:

You're looking for an explicit expression of each current as a function of time, like IL(t) = I0e-t/τ cos ωt where you say what the constants τ and ω are equal to in terms of R, L, and C.

You have three unknowns: IL, IR, and IC. You have two equations, e.g., ΔVC=ΔVL and ΔVR=ΔVL, which will allow you to write two of the currents in terms of the third one. (The third condition, ΔVC=ΔVR, automatically follows from the other two, so it's not independent.) You can therefore write IR+IL+IC=0 in terms of just one of the currents and solve for it.

It's a math methods course, but we are studying differential equations now. Finished partial diff. eq. on Thursday.

As far as the solution, this is what we did. I was trying to understand exactly what was going on, but then it clicked and I finished it in about half an hour. The answer wasn't very pretty, but it looked right.

rude man said:
He wants an explicit expression for the voltage across R. Not the integro-differential equations he gave you.

But didn't we have to use those to get to Vr?

rdfloyd said:
It's a math methods course, but we are studying differential equations now. Finished partial diff. eq. on Thursday.

As far as the solution, this is what we did. I was trying to understand exactly what was going on, but then it clicked and I finished it in about half an hour. The answer wasn't very pretty, but it looked right.

But didn't we have to use those to get to Vr?

Of course. That's why he gave them to you ...
Did he cover transforming differential equations (linear, constant-coefficient ones) to Laplace-transformed algebraic equations, I hope?

rude man said:
Did he cover transforming differential equations (linear, constant-coefficient ones) to Laplace-transformed algebraic equations, I hope?

This just clicked for me. He doesn't like to "spoil the surprise" by giving away the whole idea of a concept (forces us to choose whether to use something he taught or not), so it wasn't directly implied.

The whole idea behind Laplace/Fourier Transforms is to take a differential equation, put it in algebraic terms (which I have many more tricks to use), then bring them back to differential terms. It makes so much sense now!

I guess the only question I have now is why don't we do this to every differential equation?

Also, why would we use Fourier Transforms? To my understanding, Fourier Transforms are much more restrictive (it's limits at +/-∞ → 0).

rdfloyd said:
This just clicked for me. He doesn't like to "spoil the surprise" by giving away the whole idea of a concept (forces us to choose whether to use something he taught or not), so it wasn't directly implied.

The whole idea behind Laplace/Fourier Transforms is to take a differential equation, put it in algebraic terms (which I have many more tricks to use), then bring them back to differential terms. It makes so much sense now!

I guess the only question I have now is why don't we do this to every differential equation?

Also, why would we use Fourier Transforms? To my understanding, Fourier Transforms are much more restrictive (it's limits at +/-∞ → 0).
The Fourier transform has a more intuitive connection with response of a system based on the frequency components of the input function. The system, for example, could be a bunch of connected capacitors, inductors, and resistors, modeled by a differential equation. The input could be a voltage applied to that circuit at a certain point with the output being voltage developed elsewhere. The Fourier transform would give easier insight into the characteristics of the developed voltage relative to the applied voltage if the applied voltage had dominant frequencies -- such as an applied sinusoidal voltage that has only a single frequency at which it interacts with the system.

rdfloyd said:

Good question. the answers:
1. Laplace only works for linear, constant-coefficient diff. eq's, basically.
2. You don't learn the 'innards' of diff eq's by looking up the answer in a table of transforms! (There is of course a way to compute the inverse transforms but it involves contour integration in the complex plane, which nobody does if tables are available!)

The Fourier transform is in particular isn't suitable for transient problems, like a step voltage into an R-C network. The Fourier integral is used for single pulses but all you get from that is the frequency spectrum of the output.

RoshanBBQ said:
The Fourier transform has a more intuitive connection with response of a system based on the frequency components of the input function. The system, for example, could be a bunch of connected capacitors, inductors, and resistors, modeled by a differential equation. The input could be a voltage applied to that circuit at a certain point with the output being voltage developed elsewhere. The Fourier transform would give easier insight into the characteristics of the developed voltage relative to the applied voltage if the applied voltage had dominant frequencies -- such as an applied sinusoidal voltage that has only a single frequency at which it interacts with the system.

Pure sinusoidal excitations are handled simply by replacing s → jω.

rude man said:
Pure sinusoidal excitations are handled simply by replacing s → jω.

Yeah. Then you have turned your Laplace transform into a Fourier transform. The idea is simple: If you deal with analyzing frequency response all the time, you do not want to do the simplifications that follow from letting s be jω. Instead, you just use a Fourier transform whose tables are already in a simplified fashion in terms of ω.

RoshanBBQ said:
Yeah. Then you have turned your Laplace transform into a Fourier transform. The idea is simple: If you deal with analyzing frequency response all the time, you do not want to do the simplifications that follow from letting s be jω. Instead, you just use a Fourier transform whose tables are already in a simplified fashion in terms of ω.

Can't think of anything much simpler than s → jω and computing the magnitude ...

Give me an example of what you mean. Take a simple R-C lo-pass with Laplace 1/(Ts + 1), and tell me what your table of Fourier transforms does for you?

1. What are Laplace transforms and why are they used in Kirchhoff's Laws?

Laplace transforms are mathematical tools used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. They are used in Kirchhoff's Laws because they simplify the analysis of complex circuits by reducing differential equations to algebraic equations.

2. What are Kirchhoff's Laws and how are they related to circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Laws are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop. These laws are used to analyze and solve complex electrical circuits.

3. How do Laplace transforms simplify the analysis of circuits using Kirchhoff's Laws?

Laplace transforms simplify the analysis of circuits by converting the differential equations involved in Kirchhoff's Laws into algebraic equations. This allows for easier manipulation and solution of the equations, making the analysis process more efficient and accurate.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms in circuit analysis with Kirchhoff's Laws?

While Laplace transforms are a powerful tool in circuit analysis, they do have some limitations. They are most effective for linear circuits and can become more complex when applied to nonlinear circuits. Additionally, the use of Laplace transforms may not be suitable for some types of circuits, such as those with switching elements.

5. Can Laplace transforms be used for both AC and DC circuits in Kirchhoff's Laws?

Yes, Laplace transforms can be used for both AC and DC circuits in Kirchhoff's Laws. They are particularly useful for analyzing AC circuits, as the frequency domain representation allows for easy determination of the circuit's response to different frequencies. However, they can also be applied to DC circuits, although the analysis may be simpler using traditional methods.