Solving PDE using laplace transforms

In summary: Indeed.So let's continue the calculation...We have:With $\Re(s)\ge 0$ it follows that $C_1(s)=0$ and:The inverse Laplacian with respect to $s$ is:Substitute in the original equation and W/A validates that it holds.
TheFallen018
[Solved] Solving PDE using laplace transforms

Hey, I'm stuck on this problem and I don't seem to be making any headway.

qG42W9e.png

I took the Laplace transform with respect to t, and ended up with the following ODE:

$\frac{\partial^2 W}{\partial x^2}-W(s^2+2s+1)=0$

and the boundry conditions for $x$

$W(0,s)=\frac{30s}{(s^2+9)^2}$
and
$W(\infty,s)=0$

I tried to solve the ODE as a second order homogeneous ODE. I got the roots
$\lambda=0$
$\lambda=s^2+2s+1$

which should correspond to the solution:
$W=C_1(s)e^{(s^2+2s+1)x}+C_2(s)$

But this doesn't seem to make sense, because the I can't see how the boundry conditions could be satisfied. If x is infinity, then that means that $C_1(s)$ would have to be zero, otherwise $C_2(s)$ would have to be $-\infty$, which doesn't work anyways, since infinity take infinity is undefined. Something has to have gone wrong here

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a hand and tell me where I've gone wrong. Thank you all so much :)

EDIT:
Turns out I found most of my problem, and that is that I messed up the characteristic equation in my second order derivative. Once I fixed that, I ended up with the result:
$W=C_1(s)e^{(s+1)x}+C_2(s)e^{-(s+1)x}$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: [Solved] Solving PDE using laplace transforms

TheFallen018 said:
EDIT:
Turns out I found most of my problem, and that is that I messed up the characteristic equation in my second order derivative. Once I fixed that, I ended up with the result:
$W=C_1(s)e^{(s+1)x}+C_2(s)e^{-(s+1)x}$

Hey Fallen One,

So I guess it is solved?

I tried to solve the ODE
as a second order homogeneous ODE

It appears you were trying to solve it as a second order homogenous ODE with constant coefficients. But it is not!

HallsofIvy said:
It appears you were trying to solve it as a second order homogenous ODE with constant coefficients. But it is not!
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Not sure I agree. Isn't $s$ the frequency domain equivalent of $t?$ The resulting ODE from taking the LT is in $x$, and $s$ is independent of $x$. So I think you can treat it as a linear, homogeneous second-order ODE in $x$ with constant coefficients.

Ackbach said:
Not sure I agree. Isn't $s$ the frequency domain equivalent of $t?$ The resulting ODE from taking the LT is in $x$, and $s$ is independent of $x$. So I think you can treat it as a linear, homogeneous second-order ODE in $x$ with constant coefficients.

Indeed.
So let's continue the calculation...

We have:
$$W(x,s)=C_1(s) e^{(s+1)x} + C_2(s)e^{-(s+1)x},\quad W(0,s)=\frac{30s}{(s^2+9)^2}, \quad W(\infty,s)=0$$
With $\Re(s)\ge 0$ it follows that $C_1(s)=0$ and:
$$W(x,s)=\frac{30s}{(s^2+9)^2}e^{-(s+1)x}$$
The inverse Laplacian with respect to $s$ is:
$$w(x,t)=5e^{-x}(t-x)\sin(3(t-x))$$
Substitute in the original equation and W/A validates that it holds.
Substitute $x=0$ and we get the boundary condition $w(0,t)=5t\sin(3t)$ as expected.

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function with respect to multiple independent variables. They are used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations, including PDEs. It transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to solve certain types of equations.

How does the Laplace transform help solve PDEs?

The Laplace transform simplifies the process of solving PDEs by transforming them into algebraic equations in the frequency domain. This allows for the use of algebraic techniques to find the solution, which can then be transformed back into the time domain.

What types of PDEs can be solved using the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform can be used to solve linear, constant coefficient PDEs with initial or boundary conditions. It is not applicable to nonlinear or variable coefficient PDEs.

Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform for solving PDEs?

While the Laplace transform is a powerful tool for solving PDEs, it is not always the most efficient method. It may not be suitable for complex or nonlinear equations, and it may also introduce additional boundary conditions that need to be solved for separately.