RLC circuit solved with Laplace transformation

In summary, the conversation is about solving an exercise involving Laplace's transformation and calculating V0(t) for t ≥ 0. The speaker made a mistake with the signs but was able to find the correct solutions for I(s) and v(s). The confusion was cleared up when they realized that the exercise was asking for the voltage in R and L together, not just VL.
MaxR2018
New poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template in the schoolwork forums
Hi, i need some help here. Can you help me?:sorry:

Here is the problem.

Exercise statement: The switch have been closed for a long time y is opened at t=0. Using Laplace's transtormation calculate V0(t) for t ≥ 0

culonzo.png
This is what i made to solve it:

1) I know while the switch is closed, the current trough the circuit is i=12v/200, so i=60mA.

2) When the switch is opened at t=0, i use the voltages law of kirchoff:

12 = vc + vr + vl

12= (1/c)*(integrate of i dt from 0 to t) + vc(0) + iR + L(di/dt)

i know that vc(0) = 0

so : 12= (1/c)*(integrate of i dt from 0 to t) + iR + L(di/dt)

Then i used the laplace transformation:

12/s = I(s)/Sc + RI(S) + LSI(S) - LI(0)

And i know that LI(0)=60mA

so:

12/s = I(s)/Sc + RI(S) + LSI(S) - 60mA

Finally i calculate I(S) and then i obtain i(t) with the antitransformation of Laplace.

Then, with i(t) i calculate vt knowing that:

VL=L*(di/dt), but i obtain a diferent solution.

I obtain that V0(t) = -300000*e^(-5000t) + 12e^(-5000t)

What I am doing wrong??

I thing I am having a mistake with some signs.

Pd: Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for reading me!

Attachments

• culonzo.png
    culonzo.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,794
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get for the Laplace Transform of the current I(s)?

Last edited:
For I(s), I get:

$$I(s)=\frac{300}{(s+5000)^2}+\frac{0.06}{(s+5000)}$$
and, for v(s), I get $$v(s)=\frac{30000}{(s+5000)^2}+\frac{12}{(s+5000)}$$

Likes scottdave
Chestermiller said:
For I(s), I get:

$$I(s)=\frac{300}{(s+5000)^2}+\frac{0.06}{(s+5000)}$$
and, for v(s), I get $$v(s)=\frac{30000}{(s+5000)^2}+\frac{12}{(s+5000)}$$

One time you have I(s), you find V(s) with V(s) = LSI(S) - Li(0) ??

MaxR2018 said:
One time you have I(s), you find V(s) with V(s) = LSI(S) - Li(0) ??
No. $$v(s)=RI(s)+LsI(s)-Li(0)$$You left out RI(s)

Likes MaxR2018
Ah, ok thanks! i thought the exercise was asking me for VL, but it really asking for the the voltage in R and L together! Thank you so much!

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit consisting of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components are used to control the flow of electrical current in the circuit and are commonly found in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. How is an RLC circuit solved with Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations in the time domain. In the case of an RLC circuit, the differential equations can be transformed into algebraic equations using Laplace transformation. This enables us to find the solution for the current and voltage in the circuit over time.

3. What is the significance of solving an RLC circuit with Laplace transformation?

Solving an RLC circuit with Laplace transformation allows us to analyze the behavior of the circuit and understand how the components affect the current and voltage. It also helps in designing and optimizing the circuit for specific applications by predicting its response to different input signals.

4. Can Laplace transformation be used for all types of RLC circuits?

Yes, Laplace transformation can be applied to both series and parallel RLC circuits. However, the equations and techniques used may vary depending on the circuit configuration.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transformation for solving RLC circuits?

While Laplace transformation is a powerful tool for solving RLC circuits, it assumes ideal components and steady-state conditions. In practical circuits, there may be factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance variations that can affect the accuracy of the solutions obtained using this technique.