Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Laplacian operator in different coordinates

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    how do you write the laplacian operator in spherical coordinates and cylindrical coordinates from a cartesian basis?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2
    Cylindrical: Use the substitution [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta = \tan^{-1} \frac{y}{x}[/tex] assuming this is valid on this region.

This leads to,
    [tex]\nabla^2 u = \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial r^2} +\frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} + \frac{1}{r^2
    }\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial \theta ^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial z^2}=0[/tex]
    For the most part [tex]z[/tex] coordinate is not taken and that term vanished.

Spherical: Using Spherical Coordinate substitutions:
    [tex]\nabla^2 u = \frac{1}{r^2} \left\{ \frac{\partial (r^2u_r)}{\partial r}+\csc^2 \theta \frac{\partial ^2 y}{\partial \theta^2}+\csc \theta \frac{\partial (\sin \phi u_{\phi})}{\partial \phi} \right\} = 0[/tex]

4. Aug 13, 2007 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

in general (which is something you learn in vector analysis for physicists):
    [tex]\nabla^2=(\frac{h_3h_2}{h_1}\frac{\partial}{\partial u_1}\frac{\partial h_1}{\partial u_1},\frac{h_3h_1}{h_2}\frac{\partial}{\partial u_2}\frac{\partial h_2}{\partial u_2},\frac{h_1h_2}{h_3}\frac{\partial}{\partial u_3}\frac{\partial h_3}{\partial u_3})[/tex] or something like this.
    where:
    r=xi+yj+zk
    and h_i=|dr/du_i|
    i.e you take the norm of the vector.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  5. Aug 13, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cheat sheet (well not really cheating, unless you like deriving these things)

6. Aug 13, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simply use the rules of change of variables in partial differentials. For example

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial r} +... [/tex]

and then sub everyting in terms of the spherical coordinates. Then compute the 2-nd partial wrt to x and the same for y and z.

7. Oct 19, 2009 #6
    Either I am confused at the moment, or it is not right. In general case it should be

[tex]\nabla^2 \Phi= \frac{1}{h_1h_2h_3} \left[ \frac{\partial}{\partial u_1} \left( \frac{h_2h_3}{h_1} \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_1} \right) +

\frac{\partial}{\partial u_2} \left( \frac{h_3h_1}{h_2}\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_2} \right)

+\frac{\partial}{\partial u_3} \left(\frac{h_1h_2}{h_3}\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_3}\right)

\right]
    [/tex]

Source: Hobson, Mathematical methods for Physics and Engineering, pg. 374.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook