Laptop with good processor speed (2GHz and above)

In summary, the conversation was about purchasing a laptop with good processor speed (2GHz and above) and not pre-loaded with Windows. The price range was around $400 - $600 and the purpose was for web browsing, word processing, and debugging using C and Perl scripts. Recommendations were given for Dell and Lenovo laptops, as well as Asus thin and light notebooks.
WiFO215
Am going to be purchasing a laptop this month. Am specifically looking for a laptop with good processor speed (2GHz and above). I am not going to be loading Windows on it, but Linux Ubuntu. Thus, I don't want all those laptops that come pre-loaded with Windows. Price-range is around $400 - $600. Am not looking for something extraordinary. Please add your recommendations.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Just buy some laptop with more processor speed (as per your options more than 2 GHz).
Buy the latest one that is available in the shop..that is enough for your case..Also you use Linux, which is easy and good for any laptop with standard configuration. Only gaming need extraordinarys..After buying you can easily format (if it is loaded already with Windows)..and install your Linux (suse, or ubuntu, etc)..For Linux there is nothing to care..any thing standard and somewhat relatively new is enough.

Being as you don't want windows, you will want to try and find a laptop that doesn't have it installed to save you a little money. You may also want to look to see what laptops have the best driver support under linux. Do you just want this for web and word processing? What do you want to do with it?

I'm going to be debugging, dealing with buffer over flows... (Don't know what else I will have to learn. This is all I know as of now.) using C and Perl scripts.

Well just for those purposes, you won't really need the cutting edge. You should be able to look at last years models and get along just fine.

Pattonias said:
Well just for those purposes, you won't really need the cutting edge. You should be able to look at last years models and get along just fine.

Yeah. I'm not looking at anything high-tech in the first place. Most of them are out of my budget. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with this and could recommend a specific model.

AS for you give the information ,ipersonally ,i can recommand DELL AND LENOVO laptop for you .

Not only both have reasonable price ,but also have good service after selling .
http://www.wholesaler3000.com/Wholesale-dell-laptops_c775
http://www.wholesaler3000.com/Wholesale-lenovo-laptops_c809

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is considered a good processor speed for a laptop?

A good processor speed for a laptop is typically considered to be 2GHz or above. This ensures that the laptop can handle multiple tasks and run programs smoothly.

What does a higher processor speed mean for a laptop?

A higher processor speed means that the laptop's CPU can process more instructions per second, resulting in faster performance. This is especially beneficial for tasks that require a lot of processing power, such as video editing or gaming.

Is a 2GHz processor speed enough for everyday use?

Yes, a 2GHz processor speed is enough for everyday use. It is suitable for tasks such as web browsing, streaming videos, and using productivity software like Microsoft Office.

What are the advantages of having a laptop with a processor speed of 2GHz or above?

Having a laptop with a processor speed of 2GHz or above allows for faster data processing, smoother multitasking, and better performance for demanding tasks. It also future-proofs the laptop for potential software updates that may require higher processing speeds.

Are there any drawbacks to having a laptop with a processor speed of 2GHz or above?

The main drawback of having a laptop with a processor speed of 2GHz or above is that it may consume more power, resulting in reduced battery life. Additionally, it may also be more expensive compared to laptops with lower processor speeds.