1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Larmor precession and magnetic ordering

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When we speak about Larmor precession we refer to atomic magnetic moments precessing in a magnetic field. In ordered magnets, such as ferromagnets, I never hear about larmor precession anymore. Are the magnetic moments frozen due to interactions with the surrounding crystal fields? Or all the moments precessing in the same direction? This isn't a homework question, just one I was thinking about and unable to find a good answer for.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2
    Indeed. The moments do not even need to be ordered. In a compound, the rotational symmetry is broken, and this often leads to the angular momentum being quenched.

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3
    By rotational symmetry being broken, do you mean that the crystal field interaction forces the eg and t2 orbitals into different energy levels? I'm not to familiar with symmetry breaking but I'll try and read into it.

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4
    Yes, that is in cubic symmetry. Angular momentum is not a good quantum number unless there is rotational symmetry.

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5
    Ahh...Magnetic Resonance Imaging owe's its existence to this!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted