(laser ablation) what is difference between plume and plasma?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between plume behavior and its interaction with laser compared to the ones with plasma. The plume is the volume of matter that leaves the material and can be in the form of gas or plasma. The difference between the two processes is mostly optical, where plasma forms a ball and plume forms a flame-effect. It is possible to differentiate between the two by looking at temperature and/or spectroscopy, as well as considering the timescale and intensity of the laser pulse used. However, the appearance of the crater may also vary. It should be noted that the speaker is not an expert in this field and may have some incorrect information.
payam
I just cannot confirm which one exist in my process. how can you differentiate between plume behavior and its interaction with laser from the ones with plasma?

Thanks in adnvance

Science news on Phys.org
Usually: the plume (the word comes from Latin for feather) is the name for the volume of matter as it leaves the material. This matter will be in one or more of the 4 states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, or plasma. Typically gas or plasma dominates in the plume. I think "plume vs plasma" processes are to distinguish the fast spray type process from the more general ablation into a cloud/bubble-like thing. Could this be what you are thinking of?
https://www.jlab.org/FEL/LPC/05lpc-mao.pdf (slide 3)
... in which case the difference is mostly optical - the plasma process forms a ball while the plume forms a flame-effect.

Usually plasma is much brighter and absorbs the laser light by inverse Bremsstahlung ... so you should be able to confirm it's presence from temperature and/or spectroscopy. The series of slides shows you can tell the two processes by looking at them carefully. You can also see that the characteristic depends on the timescale for the laser pulse used as well as the intensity of the pulse. I'd imagine the crater left would look different too.

Caveat: I am only periferally aware of this stuff so I could have got something wrong.

1. What is laser ablation?

Laser ablation is a process in which a high-energy laser is used to remove material from a solid surface. This can be used for various purposes, such as scientific research, industrial manufacturing, and medical procedures.

2. How does laser ablation create a plume and plasma?

When a high-intensity laser is focused on a solid material, it causes rapid heating and vaporization of the surface. This results in the ejection of a plume of vapor and particles. The plasma is created when the vaporized material is ionized by the intense laser energy, forming a highly energetic gas.

3. What is the difference between a plume and plasma in laser ablation?

A plume is the cloud of vapor and particles that is ejected from the surface during laser ablation. It is made up of neutral atoms, molecules, and small particles. On the other hand, plasma is a state of matter in which the particles are highly ionized and have a high energy level. In laser ablation, plasma is formed from the vaporized material and can be seen as a bright glow surrounding the plume.

4. Can both plume and plasma be seen during laser ablation?

Yes, both plume and plasma can be seen during laser ablation. The plume is usually visible as a cloud of vapor and particles, while the plasma can be seen as a bright glow surrounding the plume. However, the visibility of these phenomena may depend on factors such as the laser intensity, material being ablated, and the environment.

5. Are plume and plasma important in laser ablation?

Yes, plume and plasma are important in laser ablation as they play a crucial role in the ablation process. The plume carries away the material that has been removed from the surface, while the plasma affects the material removal rate and can also cause damage to the surface. Additionally, the plume and plasma can provide valuable information about the ablation process and the properties of the material being ablated.