Laser optical components/setup

In summary, the PhD student is looking for help with designing and using lasers for various purposes. He has looked online but is not sure what terms to use. He recommends either the online encyclopedia or the Melles-Griot catalogue.
ponjavic
Hi I just started a PhD where I am going to use lasers to measure fluid flow among other things.

I am looking for some helpful information about otpical components and techniques mainly relating to lasers. How to correctly design a setup, how to split beams, how to expand/contract beam diameter and so on.

I have googled but I think I'm lacking the correct term to actually search for so if anyone has links to tutorials or material suggestion I'd be grateful.

Science news on Phys.org
Cthugha said:
It does not go too much into details, but for beginners this online laser encyclopedia might be a good start:

http://www.rp-photonics.com/encyclopedia.html
Oh, found that but forgot about it. Thanks :D

ponjavic said:
Hi I just started a PhD where I am going to use lasers to measure fluid flow among other things.

I am looking for some helpful information about otpical components and techniques mainly relating to lasers. How to correctly design a setup, how to split beams, how to expand/contract beam diameter and so on.

I have googled but I think I'm lacking the correct term to actually search for so if anyone has links to tutorials or material suggestion I'd be grateful.

Are you referring to Particle Imaging Velocimetry? What exactly do you mean by 'measure fluid flow'?

Andy Resnick said:
Are you referring to Particle Imaging Velocimetry? What exactly do you mean by 'measure fluid flow'?
Yes. Fluorescent particle tracking.

Get the melles-griot catalogue, it has a good intro to optics in the front (although you can probably find a cheaper source of components). The Edmund Scientific cartalogue is also usefull.

McGraw-Hill have a whole series of practical optics engineering books (optical system design, optics rules of thumb, optical engineering).
There is also a great book called "optical system design - making it work" by Hobbs, expensive and a few years old now but very good.

mgb_phys said:
Get the melles-griot catalogue, it has a good intro to optics in the front (although you can probably find a cheaper source of components). The Edmund Scientific cartalogue is also usefull.

McGraw-Hill have a whole series of practical optics engineering books (optical system design, optics rules of thumb, optical engineering).
There is also a great book called "optical system design - making it work" by Hobbs, expensive and a few years old now but very good.
Excellent, thank you.

What are laser optical components?

Laser optical components are devices that manipulate the light from a laser source. They include lenses, mirrors, prisms, and filters, among others.

What is the purpose of laser optical components?

The purpose of laser optical components is to control the properties of the laser beam, such as its focus, direction, and intensity. This allows for precise targeting and manipulation of the laser's output.

What factors should be considered when setting up a laser optical system?

When setting up a laser optical system, it is important to consider the wavelength of the laser, the power output, the required beam quality, and the specific application or experiment being conducted. It is also important to ensure proper alignment and stability of the components.

How do I align laser optical components?

To align laser optical components, it is important to first understand the desired output and the function of each component. Then, using specialized tools such as laser alignment systems, the components can be adjusted for optimal performance. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when aligning lasers.

What are the common issues with laser optical systems?

Common issues with laser optical systems include misalignment of components, damage to components due to high power, and contamination of optical surfaces. Regular maintenance and careful handling can help prevent these issues.