1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser Physics - Diameter of a Spot on the Moon from a Laser

1. May 21, 2017 #1
    Was not sure whether to post here on in the advanced section, since it is part of a final year undergraduate module, yet seems like a pretty simple problem (though I still need help! haha).

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A frequency doubled Nd:YAG laser (##\lambda = 532##nm) with an initial beam radius of 10cm is shone at the moon, what will be the diameter of the spot? Distance to moon is ##3.84 \times 10^8##m

2. Relevant equations
    ##w^2(z)=w_0^2 \left(1+\frac{z^2 \lambda^2}{\pi^2 w_0^4} \right)##
    ## \frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{w(z)}{z}## for large ##z##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first did the problem by just plugging in the numbers into the equation for ##w^2(z)## and taking the square root, because in my notes I have written that ##w(z)## is the beam's radius and got a value of ##8.06##m for ##w(z)##.

But then I also saw that I have also written in my notes that ##w^2(z)## is called "spot size" and since it has same units as area I then assumed that since ##A=\pi \frac{D^2}{4}## then the diameter must be ##\sqrt{\frac{4w^2(z)}{\pi}}## and got a value of ##9.1##m.

Also was not sure about the frequency doubled bit of question, I assumed that the (532nm) given for the wavelength had already taken this into account? Perhaps not and I need to half the wavelength?

I think I probably over thought it a bit much. I have not written my explicit workings as it is just putting in number and the TeX is tedious but will type it up if needed.

Any help appreciated :)

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

(1) w is just the spot diameter, not the spot area.
    (2) You can just use the 532 nm as the wavelength - the frequency doubling is already included in this.

I think your answer is way off - you probably have not done the units correctly. Why don't you walk us through how you arrived at 8.06 m and let's see where you went wrong.

4. May 21, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply, I did think it was rather small tbh,

I did...
    [tex]
    w^2(z)=w_0^2 \left(1+\frac{z^2 \lambda^2}{\pi^2 w_0^4} \right) \\
    w^2(z)=0.1^2 \left(1+\frac{(3.84 \times 10^8)^2 (532 \times 10^{-9})^2}{(\pi)^2 (0.1)^4} \right) = 65 \textrm{m}^2\\
    w = \sqrt{65} = 8.1 \textrm{m}
    [/tex]

If that is correct, then I must have entered it in my calculator wrong, although I did do it twice,

EDIT: Yeah I entered it in wrong as I just redid it and got w=650.3m !! I must have forgot to square something in my calculation of ##w^2(z)##

5. May 21, 2017 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You're still making a mistake. Just estimating, the term on the right inside the parentheses is about 4x10^7 m^2. How can adding one to it and multiplying by 0.01 give 65?

6. May 21, 2017 #5
    Did you notice my edit in time? I'm now getting ##w^2(z)=422849.6##m^2 and ##w=650##m , but I wanted to double check is w definitely the diameter and not the radius? As I have a sketch of beam divergence in my notes and w seems to be the radius, obviously if so then the diametre is 1.3km.

7. May 21, 2017 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Yes, since the initial radius is given, then w is the radius, not the diameter like I said earlier. So I think you are doing it right now and 1.3 km is the right answer.

8. May 21, 2017 #7
    Ok thank you for your help. I would have normally caught something so simple r.e. the calculation, but I entered it twice in a row and got 65, so I must have forgot to square one of the terms and made the same omission twice in a row.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted