1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser Physics or Artificial Intelligence

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1

ahs

Hello.
    I have a bachelor degree in physics and I'm an embedded programmer now.
    I would like to engage in scientific activities, but I can't choose the area: Laser Physics or Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition...).
    I heard opinion that artificial intelligence - the area is quite boring, mainly related to the meticulous study of algorithms or "primitive selection of parameters for algorithms and preparation of input data for them."
    By the way, I do not like studying mathematics in large quantities.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Then I believe you will enjoy neither Laser Physics or Artificial Intelligence.

The fact that you have listed two fields with so little in common suggests that you like the "idea" of these fields but you really know nothing about them. Do you research than follow what interests you.

4. Mar 16, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, but those two statements are just contradictory.

You can't "engage in" any form of "scientific activity", except for reading pop-sci books, without "studying math in large quantities".

5. Mar 16, 2014 #4

Physics_UG

Gold Member

unless you are doing biology or chemistry (at least some chemistry).

6. Mar 16, 2014 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Sounds like you aren't really up-to-date with current biology.

7. Mar 16, 2014 #6

Physics_UG

Gold Member

not all biology involves math so you can certainly do some biology without extensive math. I thought it was rather clear what I meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook