Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser pointer and battery life

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    I got a 5mW (class 3A), 650nm laser pointer yesterday and it came with 3 AG-3 button cells and over a day, it was on for about 60 seconds, maybe more however I noticed the beam wasn't as bright as it was when I first put it on. Over 30 seconds worth of use, it seemed to dim further until I replaced the batteries with some AG-3s that came with another product and it was noticably brighter. The 3mm white LED wasn't affected.
    The website I ordered it from said its battery duration was 3 hours (it's the 2 in 1 at the bottom). It also said it came with 3 2.5v watch batteries (I thought AG-3 cells were 1.5 volts).

Why did the button cells lose their power so quickly?
    Why do the AG-3s cause the laser beam to dim instead of allowing it to be at a constant intensity?
    Did the website get the facts wrong?

Thanks for any replies

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2
    Does the advertisement tell you about the intensity of the beam for the continuous three hour duration?

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    No, but we're only talking about roughly 90 seconds for the beam to half its brightness at this rate, the beam will dissipate by 5 mins not 3 hours.

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4
    The advertisement is a lie. I have laser pointer running on two AAA batteries and it lasts for less than ten minutes. The laser diode is simply a power hog, inefficient at that.

6. Nov 8, 2007 #5
    Thanks for your help.

7. Aug 7, 2008 #6
    Red laser pointers last longer than green ones .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?