1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser pulse calculation - a quick bit of help appreciated

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1

a. A free-running, flashlamp-pumped Nd:YAG laser produced pulses having a duration of 500 microseconds at a repetition frequency of l00Hz. Deduce the pulse power in this type of operation if the average power of the laser is 5W. (100W)​

b. This laser is then Q-switched and the average power is reduced to 4W. Deduce the peak power of the Q-switched power (2MW)​

I'm sure this is simple, but I don't seem to be getting the answer I'm supposed to. Anyone care to show how it ought to be done? :smile:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2006 #2
    Can you show us how far you have come in your calculations?
  4. Jan 7, 2006 #3

Yup. I think I've just realised what I was doing wrong as far as part a is concerned.

Let Pa denote average power
    Let Pp denote power of one pulse
    Let Ep denote energy of one pulse
    Let t denote time of one pulse

If Pa = 5W, and f = 100Hz, then

Ep x 100 = 5 => Ep = 0.05
    Pp = Ep / t = 0.05 / (500 x 10^-6) = 100W

I think that's right. (Hope so).
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  5. Jan 7, 2006 #4

I would apply a similar sort of working to the second part. I don't see how it can be done without more information.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?