Latent Heat Problem? Not sure how to solve

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum heat required to melt 0.8cm of ice covering a car window with an area of 1 m2, given a temperature of -12 degrees Celsius and the density, specific heat capacity, and latent heat of fusion of ice. The correct approach is to convert the thickness of ice to meters, calculate the volume in cm3, and then convert it to mass in grams. The correct answer is obtained by adding the heat required to raise the temperature of the ice from -12 degrees Celsius to 0 degrees Celsius and the heat required to melt the ice at 0 degrees Celsius.
PBryan833

Homework Statement

A window of a car is found to be covered with 0.8cm of ice. If the area of the window is 1 m2, and the ice is at -12 degrees Celsius, what is the minimum heat required to melt all the ice? Take the density of ice to be 900 kg/m3, the specific heat capacity of ice to be 0.5 cal/g*K, and the latent heat of fusion to be 80 cal/g. Answer in kcal.[/B]

Homework Equations

deltaQ=mcdeltaT
Latent Heat= deltaQ= Lm[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So first off, I am confused in terms of finding out the mass to use. I wasnt sure if it is .512 g by multiplying .8x.8.x8 for cm3, or if you are supposed to make 0.8cm into meters then get the volume of that and multiply it by 900kg/m3 and then make kg into grams. If it is the second method, then the mass would be .46 grams?

So then what i tried doing is add Q1 and Q2 to each other. Q1 for me was (0.512)(.5 cal/g K)(12) and then Q2 i have as (80 cal/g)(.512) Then i added these together to get 44.032 calories which would be 0.044032 kcal. This answer does not seem right however and I feel like it is too low. What am I doing wrong? Thank You So much

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, please correctly compute the volume of the ice in cm3. I remind you that you have a surface of 1 m2 with a thickness of 0,8 cm. Once you have the volume, convert it to mass in grams by multiplying it by the density of the ice.

And once you have correctly calculated the mass, you can proceed with the heat that must be supplied...

So first off, I am confused in terms of finding out the mass to use. I wasnt sure if it is .512 g by multiplying .8x.8.x8 for cm3, or if you are supposed to make 0.8cm into meters then get the volume of that and multiply it by 900kg/m3 and then make kg into grams. If it is the second method, then the mass would be .46 grams?
Method 2 is the correct approach, but your answer is wrong. Please show us your work.
So then what i tried doing is add Q1 and Q2 to each other. Q1 for me was (0.512)(.5 cal/g K)(12) and then Q2 i have as (80 cal/g)(.512) Then i added these together to get 44.032 calories which would be 0.044032 kcal. This answer does not seem right however and I feel like it is too low. What am I doing wrong? Thank You So much
Your approach here is correct, but, because your estimate of the mass is say low, so is this answer.

Chet

thank you both for the help!

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider all of the information provided in the problem and use appropriate equations to find a solution. In this case, the first step would be to convert the ice thickness from 0.8cm to meters, which would be 0.008m. Then, using the area of the window (1m2) and the ice thickness, we can calculate the volume of ice as 0.008m3. Multiplying this by the density of ice (900 kg/m3) gives us a mass of 7.2 kg.

Next, we can use the equation Q=mcΔT to find the heat required to raise the temperature of the ice from -12°C to 0°C. This would be (7.2 kg)(0.5 cal/g K)(12 K) = 43.2 cal = 0.0432 kcal.

Finally, we need to consider the heat required to melt the ice, which is given by Q=mL, where L is the latent heat of fusion (80 cal/g). So, the total heat required to melt all the ice would be (7.2 kg)(80 cal/g) = 576 cal = 0.576 kcal.

Adding these two values together, we get a total heat of 0.6192 kcal required to melt all the ice on the window. It is important to pay attention to units and make sure they all match up in the final answer.

In summary, to solve this latent heat problem, we first converted all units to the appropriate form, calculated the heat required to raise the temperature of the ice, and then added that to the heat required to melt the ice. I hope this explanation helps you better understand how to approach and solve similar problems in the future.

1. What is latent heat and why is it a problem in science?

Latent heat refers to the heat energy that is absorbed or released during a phase change of a substance, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas. It is a problem in science as it can affect the accuracy of measurements and predictions in various scientific fields, including thermodynamics and meteorology.

2. How is latent heat problem solved in scientific experiments?

The latent heat problem is solved by taking into account the amount of heat energy absorbed or released during a phase change and adjusting calculations accordingly. Additionally, precise instruments and techniques are used to measure and monitor temperature changes in experiments involving phase changes.

3. Can latent heat problem affect real-world applications?

Yes, the latent heat problem can affect various real-world applications, such as in industrial processes that involve phase changes and in weather forecasting models that rely on accurate temperature measurements. Failure to properly account for latent heat can result in errors and inefficiencies in these applications.

4. What are some common examples of latent heat problem in everyday life?

Some common examples of latent heat problem in everyday life include the melting of ice in a drink, the evaporation of sweat from the skin, and the condensation of water vapor in the air. In each of these examples, heat energy is absorbed or released during a phase change, affecting the overall temperature of the system.

5. How can understanding latent heat problem benefit scientific research and advancements?

Understanding the concept of latent heat and how it affects various systems can help scientists make more accurate predictions and measurements in their experiments. This can lead to advancements in fields such as materials science, energy production, and climate change research.