Latex article template question

In summary, the speaker is new to Latex and is looking for a specific journal article template. They have downloaded the MacTeX-2017 Distribution on their Mac and are wondering if figures always need to be placed in a separate folder when writing an article in Latex. They have found an online template that is not compiling and are unsure if it is because they are missing required packages. They are seeking advice on how to install packages and mention checking the distribution for included packages. They are also advised to look for a log file for more information on the errors.
fog37
I am new to Latex and looking for a specific journal article template. I am working on a mac and just downloaded the MacTeX-2017 Distribution which come with its editor.

When writing an article in Latex, do figures always need to placed in a separate folder?

The article journal template I found online does not seem to compile. Is it because I don't have required packages installed? Do all those packages need to be separately downloaded? If so, from where? Or do they already exist in the distribution?

Thanks,
fog37

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I will provide more details. But you are probably right in the fact that I am missing the packages that the template requires. I guess I have to check which packages that distribution includes or doesn't...

fog37 said:
Thanks. I will provide more details. But you are probably right in the fact that I am missing the packages that the template requires. I guess I have to check which packages that distribution includes or doesn't...

Try to look for a log file, i.e. a file with ending .log. Probably, in the same directory where you have your .tex file. In my case it is called article.log if the source file is article.tex.

1. What is a Latex article template?

A Latex article template is a pre-formatted document that helps researchers, scientists, and academics to write and publish their research papers in a professional and consistent manner. It provides a standardized layout and formatting for the document, making it easier to focus on the content rather than the appearance.

2. How do I use a Latex article template?

To use a Latex article template, you will need to have a Latex distribution installed on your computer. Once you have the software, you can download and open the template in your Latex editor. From there, you can edit the text, add figures and tables, and customize the document according to your needs.

3. Are there different types of Latex article templates?

Yes, there are various types of Latex article templates available for different purposes. Some templates are specific to certain academic journals or conferences, while others are more general and can be used for any type of research paper. It is essential to choose a template that fits the guidelines and requirements of your target publication.

4. Can I modify the Latex article template?

Yes, you can modify the Latex article template to suit your needs. You can change the font, spacing, margins, and other elements to match the formatting guidelines of your target publication. However, it is recommended to check with the journal or conference guidelines before making any significant changes to ensure that your paper meets their requirements.

5. Where can I find Latex article templates?

There are many resources available online where you can find Latex article templates. Some academic journals and conferences provide their templates on their websites, while others can be found on Latex template repositories. You can also create your own template or modify an existing one to fit your needs.