Latex not downloading update packages

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, Miktex is supposed to download packages for me, but it's not working. Texstudio is giving me different errors than before. However, the package caption was successfully installed.
qspeechc
Hello everyone.

I'm using Miktex, which is supposed to automatically download packages, and WinShell as a front end, both are latest versions.

For some reason packages are not downloading. First the wrapfig.sty file didn't download, so I did it manually by downloading it into the .tex file I'm working on.

Then it said it can't download caption.sty in the caption package. I checked, this package doesn't have a .sty file.

Specifically, I get the error:
Book.tex(1): Error: LaTeX Error: File `caption.sty' not found.

Can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be something with your front end package. Maybe try using a different gui like texstudio. If the problem persist, then something is misconfigured in Miktex and you should try reinstalling it.

Likes qspeechc
I'm getting a different bunch of errors with Texstudio. Plus I re-installed Miktex just before posting this thread.

Unfortunately, the package mptopdf could not be installed.Please check the log file: C:/.../AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/miktex/log/pdflatex.log
Error: Command crashed: pdflatex.exe -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode "Book".tex
Process exited with error(s)

Urgh, Latex is killing me!

Check your default compiler setting in your front end, likely under options/configurations. Make sure the default compiler is set to PdfLaTeX.

Likes qspeechc
Now everything has stopped working altogether. In Winshell you choose the compiler. Nothing's working. I try to compile a pdf file and nothing happens. I give up! Thanks anyway NFuller.

Got Latex working again, but the caption package not working like it should! Nevermind, it's not serious.

qspeechc said:
Got Latex working again, but the caption package not working like it should! Nevermind, it's not serious.
if you use MikTex then go to Package manager and search for caption and then install it.

Likes qspeechc
Hallelujah Brother! It actually seems to work!

I can't thank you enough Payam! I'm so glad to get over these Latex gremlins :biggrin:

1. Why is my Latex not downloading update packages?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that your internet connection is not stable or strong enough to download the packages. Another reason could be that your Latex distribution is outdated and needs to be updated before it can download new packages. Finally, there may be an issue with the server where the packages are hosted, causing them to not download properly.

2. How can I fix Latex not downloading update packages?

If your internet connection is the issue, try using a stronger or more stable connection. If your Latex distribution is outdated, try updating it using the appropriate commands for your operating system. If the server is the problem, you can try downloading the packages from a different server or waiting for the issue to be resolved.

3. What should I do if I get an error message when trying to download update packages in Latex?

If you receive an error message, it is important to read it carefully to determine the cause of the issue. It could be related to any of the reasons mentioned in the previous questions. You can also search for the specific error message online to find potential solutions.

4. Can I manually download and install Latex update packages?

Yes, you can manually download and install Latex update packages if you are having trouble downloading them through Latex itself. However, this requires some technical knowledge and may not be suitable for beginners. You can find instructions on how to do this by searching online or consulting Latex documentation.

5. Is there a way to automatically update Latex packages?

Yes, there are ways to set up automatic updates for Latex packages. This is typically done through the package manager in your Latex distribution. Consult your distribution's documentation or search online for instructions on how to set up automatic updates.