Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX: selecting font with fontenc package

Tags:
  1. Nov 20, 2013 #1

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Running XeTeX from TexLive 2011 on windows, I have been using
    Code (Text):

\usepackage{fourier}

To get the Adobe Utopia font. That works fine.

For reasons irrelevant to the question, I want to use the fontenc package to select fonts. So I need to do something like
    Code (Text):

\usepackage{fontenc}
    \setmainfont{ ... what goes here? }

Utopia, utopia, and Utopia-Regular don't work (lots of errors, TeX tries to build the fonts using textmf, and fails).

Searching for file names containing utopia and fourier didn't help.

The fontenc package documentation doesn't help either - it makes the assumption that if you want to use a font, you know what it's called. WRONG!!!!!

Any suggestions?

FWIW the fontenc package itself is working - a demo file using a different font (Junicode) works fine.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I've answered my own question. The version of the Adobe Utopia font that is free with TeX distributions in in Postscript Type 1 format. The font handling in XeTeX and the fontenc package is meant for TrueType or OpenType fonts.

Adobe do a TrueType version of Utopia, but it's not free.

And unfortunately, converting Type 1 fonts to TrueType accurately is hard, unlike the reverse conversion.

That doesn't solve the problem, but at least it explains it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook