Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lattice constant of martensite?

1. Jul 1, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone-

I am trying to run some MD simulations of martensitic iron. I am having a lot of trouble finding a lattice constant anywhere in the literature... I know the crystal structure is bct, so there will be some c/a ratio as well... any suggestions?

Erin

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2
    I have done a little bit more research... but I am not well versed enough in steels to figure out if what I am saying is true.

I want to research the transition from austenite (fcc) to martensite. The potential I am using was written for ferrite (bcc), with a lattice constant of 2.8553, but I think it will still be stable for austentite. Doing a lowest energy calculation, I figured out the lattice constant for fcc is about 3.66.

Now, if I am simulating pure Fe, with no carbon, is it correct that the martensite will have a bcc configuration? I believe the bct deformation is caused by carbon atoms not fitting in properly... if so, then I can create an interface between some fcc and bcc, and let it run, and this would effectively simulate a austenitic/martensitic boundary. Does this seem correct?

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you will find a useful c/a in literature because this is a strong function of composition and heat treatment (which means there's non-equilibrium weirdness hidden in it - probably from diffusion of C)!

The authoritative reference is supposed to be: Wechsler, M. S., Lieberman, D. S., and Read, T. A., “On the Theory of the Formation of Martensite,” AIME Trans. J. Metals 197, 1503 (1953).

If that's hard to access, try: S. Lieberman, M. S. Wechsler, and T. A. Read, J. Appl. Phys. 26, 473 (1955)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?