Lattice Energy and the Born Haber Cycle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
President Mercury
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Ok most questions (that I have come across) when dealing with the Born Haber Cycle give the Sublimation energy, the Dissociation energy, the Electron Affinity, the Ionization Energy, and the Formation Energy. I know that to get the Formation Energy it is:

Hf= Hs+Hi.e.+1/2Hd+He.a.+U (Lattice Energy)

My problem is that if everything but the lattice energy is given what is the calculations to get the lattice energy. I know the lattice energy for some examples like NaCl but that's just from memory, I just don't know how to get the lattice energy (assuming that I didn't memorize it) by using a calculation. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try here. I googled it... "lattice energy calculation".

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/applychem/lattice.html
 
Thank you. I guess I couldn't find it since I didn't simply put "calculation" at the end of my search.