Lattice Vibrations and em waves

In summary, EM waves falling on a solid can contribute towards lattice vibrations. The energy used in lattice vibrations is usually larger than the (direct) band gap of the material, so any visible light will do. For metals, there is no band gap, so any light can excite electrons.
manofphysics
Can EM waves falling on a solid contribute towards lattice vibrations?

If yes, then
i)when is the energy used in lattice vibrations,
ii)when is it used in excitation of electron into higher energy level, and finally,
iii)when is the energy utilized for slight vibration of the electron cloud at the frequency of em wave thus producing a scattered EM wave ?

Do these happen simulataneously? What is the order and energy conditions for each of these happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
i) Lattice vibrations (phonons) can be excited by light, but usually only so-called the optical branches, which not every material has (although every material with a structure more complex than a single atom per unit cell will have optical branches). These are pretty much always in the infrared part of the spectrum
ii) To excite electrons in an insulator or semiconductor, you need light that is larger than the (direct) band gap of the material. For Si that's aboue 1.3 eV, so any visible light will do, which gives it a very dark appearance since it absorbs most visible light (1.6 eV - ~3 eV) but for diamond the band gap is above 5 eV, so no visible light is absorbed. For metals, there is no band gap, so typically any light can excite electrons, and tends to interact with plasmons [more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmon]
iii) I don't quite understand what you're asking in this one, but it might be discussed on the plasmon link above.

I understood the first two points.Thanks,kanato

In (iii) , I was simply asking under what circumstances the radiation is NOT absorbed but passes right through the solid causing the electron cloud surrounding the atom to oscillate slightly at the same freq. as the incident wave, hence each atom of the lattice producing a spherical wave of the same freq. as the incident wave (scattering on the surface of a solid)

In general if there is any net charge displacement associated with a mechanical distortion of the solid, there ought to be an interaction with light of the same wavelength. In other words, the positively charged atomic lattice vibrates mechanically while the total electron cloud lags slightly behind. I can't think of any other mechanism for the overall absorption of light by a solid. I don't know why this mechanism doesn't work for glass.

Lattice vibrations are pretty much always in the infrared spectrum. Generally the phonons that you are talking about are called IR active because they interact with light for exactly the reason you describe. It probably does work for glass, but since it is in the IR part of the spectrum it does not affect the way glass interacts with visible light.

few cents..
allmost all molecules have acoustics (roughly less than 12 meV or 100cm^-1 in the phonon vibrational density spectrum) and intermolecular vibrations (one can separate them by seeing the spectrum). I am writing this based on nuclear scattering technique.
For pure element..acoustic modes-sound waves is dispersed..
As far as i know Debye model gives a good explanation for acoustic and Einstein for molecular vibrations.

can anybody tell me how to interpret phonon band structures.any book available or any material which would help me.

1. What are lattice vibrations and how do they occur?

Lattice vibrations refer to the oscillations of atoms or molecules in a crystal lattice. These vibrations occur due to the thermal energy of the atoms and the forces between neighboring atoms.

2. How do lattice vibrations affect the properties of materials?

Lattice vibrations can affect various properties of materials, such as thermal conductivity, electrical conductivity, and mechanical properties. For example, in metals, lattice vibrations can increase electrical conductivity by allowing electrons to move more freely.

3. What are electromagnetic (em) waves and how are they related to lattice vibrations?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that travels through space in the form of electric and magnetic fields. Lattice vibrations can generate electromagnetic waves in the form of thermal radiation, which is the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves.

4. How do em waves interact with materials at the atomic level?

When electromagnetic waves interact with materials, they can cause the atoms or molecules to vibrate, which in turn can affect the properties of the material. For example, the absorption of electromagnetic waves can increase the temperature of a material.

5. Can lattice vibrations and em waves be manipulated for technological applications?

Yes, lattice vibrations and em waves can be manipulated for various technological applications. For example, the manipulation of lattice vibrations can be used to create materials with specific thermal or electrical properties. Electromagnetic waves are also used in communication technologies, such as radio waves and microwaves.