Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Launching a rocket from high altitude

1. Jun 28, 2017 #1
    I have a project where I will be launching a rocket from a high altitude weather balloon. I am planning on launching the rocket at around 70Km or even higher. My main concern is the igniter not being able to ignite the engine because of the low amount of oxygen. Is there any way around this? Possible to make like a combustion chamber for the engine?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2017 #2

JBA

If this is a solid fuel rocket then use the rocket fuel compound as a part of the igniter and there should not be a problem because the sufficient energy from a spark or heat from a wire coil is all that should be required.

4. Jun 28, 2017 #3
    How would I integrate this into the igniter?

5. Jun 28, 2017 #4

JBA

For example, use a small high resistance wire coil embedded into a small molded slug of the fuel compound or the bottom of the solid fuel at the exhaust nozzle.

6. Jun 28, 2017 #5
    So basically embed the igniter coil directly into the engine of solid based fuel closest to the exhaust nozzle?

7. Jun 28, 2017 #6

JBA

Yes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted