Launching a rocket from high altitude

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a project where I will be launching a rocket from a high altitude weather balloon. I am planning on launching the rocket at around 70Km or even higher. My main concern is the igniter not being able to ignite the engine because of the low amount of oxygen. Is there any way around this? Possible to make like a combustion chamber for the engine?

Answers and Replies

JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If this is a solid fuel rocket then use the rocket fuel compound as a part of the igniter and there should not be a problem because the sufficient energy from a spark or heat from a wire coil is all that should be required.

If this is a solid fuel rocket then use the rocket fuel compound as a part of the igniter and there should not be a problem because the sufficient energy from a spark or heat from a wire coil is all that should be required.
How would I integrate this into the igniter?

JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For example, use a small high resistance wire coil embedded into a small molded slug of the fuel compound or the bottom of the solid fuel at the exhaust nozzle.

For example, use a small high resistance wire coil embedded into a small molded slug of the fuel compound or the bottom of the solid fuel at the exhaust nozzle.
So basically embed the igniter coil directly into the engine of solid based fuel closest to the exhaust nozzle?

JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes