1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2 ?

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2 ??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the Laurent series and residue for f(z) = [tex]\frac{1}{(e^{z} - 1)^{2}}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

We know that the Taylor series expansion of e[tex]^{z}[/tex] is = 1 + z + (z^2)/2! + ...

3. The attempt at a solution

I am soooo confused. It's almost like a geometric series, except the denominator is squared. I know I need to use the Taylor series expansion, but I don't know where. Do I just invert the Taylor series expansion??? How do I deal with the fact that it's squared?

I almost thought of writing it into the geometric series anyway, then squaring the terms (obviously this isn't really accurate, as I'd be missing tons of cross-terms, but if we only need a few terms of the series anyways...). Can anyone help to explain what's going on?

I understood the example in our book (there's only 1 example :frown:) but it had two different poles, and I was able to expand the Taylor series around the "other" pole for each Laurent series. Here our only pole is 0 (though of order 2) and I don't know how to proceed.
    Any help would be so appreciated!! :cool:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2 ??

You expand around z=0. exp(z)-1=z+z^2/2!+...=z(1+z/2!+...). Write that as z(1+a) where a=z/2!+z^2/3!+... So 1 over that squared is (1/z^2)*(1/(1+a)^2). The series expansion for 1/(1+a)^2 is 1-2a+3a^2+... As you said, you only need the first few terms. Now start throwing away terms that you know won't contribute to the terms you need. E.g. a^2 starts with a z^2 term.
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    Re: Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1)^2 ??

oh,oh, that is SOOO Nice!!!

IT WORKED! :rofl:

I think this has helped me a LOT. You use the Taylor series to simplify your expression into a form that you can expand in geometric/other series, because it's a lot simpler than doing the nasty line integral for the coefficients? Basically we just put this into a different looking form, and then it all stood out.

I even got the same answer as Maple, up to the first 5 terms! :biggrin:

Thank you Dick!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?