Laurent expansion of ##ze^{1/z}##

Homework Statement

Find a Laurent series of ##f(z)=ze^{1/z}## in powers of ##z-1##. Is there an easier way to go about this as this is not a typical expansion I see on textbooks. It seems that my incomplete solution is too complicated. Please help, exam is in two days and I am working on past exams. Worked out solutions are welcome, also. P.S. it may seem like I'm cramming, but it's not under my control - :cry:

Homework Equations

Laurent's Theorem.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Since ##f(z)## is entire, then it is analytic in any annular domain. So let's pick the domain ##\frac{1}{2} \lt \vert z-1\vert \lt 3##. By Laurent's theorem the coefficients
\begin{align}a_k=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{c}\frac{(1+e^{it})e^{\frac{1}{1+e^{it}}}}{e^{it\cdot k}}\end{align}
where ##C## is the contour ##z(t)=1+e^{it}## and hence, ##dz=ie^{it}dt##. Note that the contour ##C## is within our selected annular domain as it should be according to the theorem.

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I think I see a trick to this one: ## f'(z)=(z-1)f(z) ##, and if you do the algebra, and I think you can show ## f^n(z)=(z-1)f^{n-1}+(n-1) f^{n-2}(z) ##. ## \\ ##That would make it suitable for a Taylor expansion about ## z=1 ##. Note that ##f^n(1)=(n-1)f^{n-2}(1) ##. ## \\ ## It looks like the odd number derivatives are zero and the even ones are ## (n-1)!! =(n-1)(n-3)(n-5)....(1) ##. (I think I have the correct definition of n!!=Edit: yes I googled it: see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DoubleFactorial.html) And hopefully I don't get dinged for supplying a solution to this, because other than this approach, I wouldn't know what to do with this one. :wink:

Last edited:
f′(z)=(z−1)f(z)
I don't see why this is true. I got \begin{align}f'(z)=e^{1/z}-\frac{e^{1/z}}{z}\end{align}
But ##(z-1)f(z)=(z-1)ze^{1/z}=z^2e^{1/z}-ze^{1/z}##

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I made an algebraic error here: ## f'(z)=\frac{(z-1)}{z^2} f(z) ##. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Likes Terrell
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I think a similar method might still be possible: Using ## f'(z)=f(z)g(z) ## where ## g(z)=\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2} ##, so that ## f'=fg ##, ## f''=f'g+fg' ##, etc, I think you should be able to get some kind of expression for ## f^n(z) ##.

Likes Terrell
I think a similar method might still be possible: Using f′(z)=f(z)g(z)f′(z)=f(z)g(z) f'(z)=f(z)g(z) where g(z)=1z−1z2g(z)=1z−1z2 g(z)=\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2} , so that f′=fgf′=fg f'=fg , f′′=f′g+fg′f″=f′g+fg′ f''=f'g+fg' , etc, I think you should be able to get some kind of expression for fn(z)fn(z) f^n(z) .
Is there a standard general approach you are trying to follow? Thanks!!

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Is there a standard general approach you are trying to follow? Thanks!!
I am just trying to find something that works. Had I not made a simple algebraic error, the first solution that I had would have been a good one. Upon further inspection, I'm not having any luck with anything that works...

Likes Terrell
I am just trying to find something that works. Had I not made a simple algebraic error, the first solution that I had would have been a good one. Upon further inspection, I'm not having any luck with anything that works...
I find it hard to believe they put this on a past exam. It's suppose to be a test of understanding, not puzzles. I'll try my hand at this again later, I'm working on other problems for the moment. Thank you!!

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I find it hard to believe they put this on a past exam. It's suppose to be a test of understanding, not puzzles. I'll try my hand at this again later, I'm working on other problems for the moment. Thank you!!
I hope the people who designed the problem didn't make the same mistake that I did in thinking there was a simple solution. It's unlikely, but certainly quite possible.:wink:

Likes Terrell
I hope the people who designed the problem didn't make the same mistake that I did in thinking there was a simple solution. It's unlikely, but certainly quite possible.:wink:
I would be outrage! These are comprehensive exams and they don't get returned to us. :mad:

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
@Orodruin You have much more math expertise. Does this one have a simple solution that we are missing?

Likes Terrell
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Here's my short-cut way to an answer:

##f(z) = z e^\frac{1}{z}## has a singularity only at ##z=0##. Which means that it doesn't have any singularity at ##z=1##. If it doesn't have a pole at ##z=1##, that means that it can be expanded in an ordinary Taylor series, using just positive powers of ##z-1##.

Given that, I think I would just let ##z = u+1## and then our function becomes ##f(u) = (1+u) e^{\frac{1}{1+u}}##. You can find the Taylor series by just taking derivatives, rather than doing complex integrals. I guess it depends on whether the assignment is intended to give you practice at doing complex integration.

Likes Terrell and Charles Link
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
With a Taylor expansion, and taking derivatives, I was unable to succeed at getting a simple formula for the series. This only worked when I made an algebraic error that was clearly wrong. Perhaps the OP or someone else can find such a formula.