Lead Screw diameter for lifting 200Kgs

In summary, the conversation is about using a lead screw arrangement to lift 200kg weight using a handle. The person suggests using a trapezoidal thread and nut and asks for recommendations on the required diameter. Another person suggests looking up "Nook industries" or "Thomson Linear" for specifications and recommendations from a reliable supplier. They also mention that using a smaller screw diameter may cause rapid wear out but can work for a one-time lift.
Rajashekar
Hi
I one of my application i am using the lead screw arrangement to lift 200kg weight using handle
I used trapezoidal thread and nut.
Could anybody suggest the diameter required for lifting the weight of 200kg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up "Nook industries", They make lots of lead screws, and would have specs for them... Depending on the length (for rigidity) 1" / 25mm would be a good starting point

Likes berkeman
Thomson Linear is another

Definitely look up recommendations and specifications from a good supplier. If you want to lift the load once you can get away with a much smaller screw diameter (and therefore smaller thread area), at the cost of rapid wear out.

Thanx, I will look into that and get the specifications and will get back if I need some more details

1. What is the recommended lead screw diameter for lifting 200Kgs?

The recommended lead screw diameter for lifting 200Kgs depends on a variety of factors such as the type of lead screw (acme or ball screw), the speed and frequency of lifting, and the length of the lead screw. Generally, a larger diameter lead screw will be able to handle heavier loads and provide more stability, but it is best to consult with a manufacturer or engineer for specific recommendations.

2. Can a smaller lead screw diameter be used for lifting 200Kgs to save costs?

While it may be tempting to use a smaller lead screw diameter to save costs, it is not recommended for safety reasons. A smaller lead screw may not be able to handle the weight and may result in instability or failure, leading to potential hazards. It is important to use the recommended lead screw diameter for the specified load to ensure safe and efficient lifting.

3. How does the pitch of the lead screw affect its ability to lift 200Kgs?

The pitch of the lead screw refers to the distance between each thread on the screw. A larger pitch means there is more distance between each thread, resulting in a faster lifting speed. However, a larger pitch may also mean a smaller load capacity. It is important to consider the pitch along with the diameter when selecting a lead screw for lifting 200Kgs to ensure it can handle the weight and provide the desired lifting speed.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a lead screw to lift 200Kgs?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a lead screw to lift 200Kgs. These include regular maintenance and inspection of the lead screw, ensuring it is properly lubricated, and following weight and speed limits recommended by the manufacturer. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques and to never exceed the weight capacity of the lead screw.

5. Can a lead screw be used for both lifting and lowering 200Kgs?

Yes, a lead screw can be used for both lifting and lowering 200Kgs. However, it is important to select a lead screw with a suitable pitch and diameter to ensure it can handle both tasks efficiently and safely. Additionally, proper maintenance and lubrication are crucial for the smooth operation of the lead screw in both directions.