Learn Physics & Thermodynamics: 8th Grade Guide

• Thread starter LogicalAcid
  • Start date
In summary: You don't need to be good at math in order to understand physics and thermodynamics. In fact, you will likely find that understanding these concepts is considerably aided by knowing a bit of math. However, you don't need to be a genius to do well in physics and thermodynamics; you just need to be able to follow directions and do the work. Keep at it, and in a few years you will be able to understand everything that is being taught to you.
LogicalAcid
See, I am in 8th grade. I come from a small school (200 kids, one room for each class) which does not offer courses on which I am interested. What I am confused about now is, I have never gotten into the mathematics of actual Thermodynamics, Physics, and Chemistry. Now I feel that it is time I start. But here lies the problem, I don't know where to start. I know I can learn online, but where? I know I can learn by books, but what books? I want to learn all I can about Physics and Thermodynamics, and have learned all I can without using mathematics. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
LogicalAcid said:
Now I feel that it is time I start.

It's not. As you pointed out yourself, you don't have the mathematical background yet. Study hard on what you are being taught now, and in a few years you will be ready to tackle these topics. Thermodynamics will still be around then, don't worry.

Once you learn calculus you'll be ready to begin understanding classical physics.

Vandium is right. Your enthusiasm is terrific, but learning math is progressive - you really must learn to walk before you can run. So, focus on your classes, even if they seem a bit boring. Believe me, I understand your frustration...but you have to hang in there.

What math are you taking now?

To start studying physics properly, you need to know at least algebra and some trigonometry. Have you gotten that far yet?

*edit* ooo... this post is a little long... apologies :)

You're in 8th grade (american?), I'll assume you're mature enough to sit down and cover the material you're interested in yourself. There are resources available on the internet that you can drift through until you, by some foggy way, figure out where to start.

I'll suggest checking out the "books" subforum here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

And, if you are from an American school, then if your experience has so far been typical, your education in math and science has been atrocious (Here's hoping you had motivated teachers, but today, that's not necessarily the case...). Please, do not interpret this as meaning the material you are being taught is worthless! Ultimately, your teacher knows more than you do; by some methods, some better than others, they are honestly trying to get you to understand something. Besides, terrible things happen if you neglect school :). If you can find someone to tutor you, then all the better.

Understand that you cannot read something on math, physics, or anything useful in the world like a piece of literature. Somebody amazing made various useful things, among which are the pen and notebooks. Simply spouting something you read but don't quite understand will simply delay your understanding of whatever that something is.

I'll suggest this book to start out with math:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0387967877/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are video lectures, too. Search "MIT OCW," though at this point you may not get anything out of them. Focusing too much on the lectures could be counterproductive, until you know what in the world is going on.

I'll throw one more thing in. It's great that you're motivated! When you have covered trig, you can start something on physics... eventually, who knows? If you're on a budget, like I was (oh, how annoying book prices are!), then this book is good to purchase and work through. Derivatives and Integrals shouldn't be a problem to cover on your own in a month or two (be focused, don't just think you understand something by reading, do work yourself!). [edit for clarity: an thorough understanding of what is normally in the AP Calc curriculum can be covered in that time, not the entirety of calculus, you silly readers :P]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393957489/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(There is a volume 2, and an option to buy both volumes together. Check used prices.)

****Because publishers are... odd... you may rapidly collect prices for all used editions of any book here:
www.isbn.nu

--------

*edit* These are the books I listed (apologies...):
1 - Basic Mathematics (Serge Lang)
Material covered ranges from algebra to trigonometry, and some other topics. This is more effective than your typical american public/private/catholic school treatment. Can be found used for ~$30.

2 - Physics, Volume 1/2 (Hans C. Ohanian)
Material covered, if you purchase the occasionally found combined vol 1/2, includes everything in a 3-semester undergraduate physics sequence. Used copies usually sell for around $20 per edition, or $40 for the combined set.

3 - (I'm adding another...) Caculus (Spivak), for when you are thoroughly prepared. If you're like me, and feel like ramming your head through a brick wall in the presence of this book, go here (used at $25):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321495756/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I now place, for you, the very reachable target of accomplishing this in two years :D.

-------

Sorry if anything here is HORRIBLY MISLEADING, and correct me if I've made an error somewhere. I'm still in high school as well xD.

A final thing. On occasion, it is helpful to pick up some programming knowledge (and experience doing it!). But, it isn't healthy to ask you to spend every waking moment studying (you'll burn yourself out, etc.). Find out if there is a computer, robotics, or related club in your school, or in whatever high school you end up going to. Join that :D! Hence, I'm going to throw in two final things if you end up going the way of CS:
1 - An online lecture series on introductory CS (Check Stanford's and MIT's videos. I just found this, as well, be sure to check out it's home page: http://www1.idc.ac.il/tecs/plan.html). Often the language initially used is either Python or Java; you'll probably end up learning both.
2 - A BOOK, for when a book is desired, which may be found online by certain clever means, or else purchased used: C++ Primer Plus: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0672326973/?tag=pfamazon01-20

*edit* I've been terribly pessimistic xD. Things are understood, or else learned, in retrospect. Do some things over if you need to; never get discouraged.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Vandium is right. Your enthusiasm is terrific, but learning math is progressive - you really must learn to walk before you can run. So, focus on your classes, even if they seem a bit boring. Believe me, I understand your frustration...but you have to hang in there.

What math are you taking now?

8th grade algebra, so far I am trying to learn a bit of high school algebra, I have been recommended very few books, which is what I want to learn, the books I was recommended are not avaliable to me.

I agree 100% with lompocus' post. Try reading the 3 books he mentions, it should be a good start.

LogicalAcid said:
8th grade algebra, so far I am trying to learn a bit of high school algebra, I have been recommended very few books, which is what I want to learn, the books I was recommended are not avaliable to me.

You're on a good pace. Take high school algebra in 9th grade, pre-calc in 10th, calc 1 in 11th, calc 2 in 12th, and you're ahead of most students already.

You'll be prepared to take calc-based physics in your freshman year of college.

Just don't burn yourself out too early.

Jack21222 said:
Just don't burn yourself out too early.

I agree with this.

Vanadium, how are the books not available to you (books you've been recommended in this thread or elsewhere)?

Most of the books can be downloaded on the internet. You just need to check the right places...

micromass said:
Most of the books can be downloaded on the internet. You just need to check the right places...

Erm, any to recommend? I want recommendations from everyone that can give.

You're on a good pace. Take high school algebra in 9th grade, pre-calc in 10th, calc 1 in 11th, calc 2 in 12th, and you're ahead of most students already.
This is a little unrealistic. I would shoot for Calc 1 in Grade 12, taking it second semester after you finish Grade 12 Pure Math. If next year in Grade 9 you can just master the really basic stuff of adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing fractions. Then start to learn factoring and solving basic function equations and solving for slope, etc. then you will be right on track!

I'd suggest taking the AP Calculus exam in Grade 12, I did it and it was an awesome learning experience!

Caramon, what exactly is pure math as a high school course? Is it the same as advanced functions in Ontario?

Pure Math 30 (Grade 12) in Alberta is:
-Transformations of Functions
-Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
-Geometric Series
-Trigonometry
-Permutations and Combinations
-Statistics and Probability
-Conic Sections

Yes, it is the same.

Kevin_Axion said:
Yes, it is the same.

I already know all the basics, but the formulas and such of physics is what interests me, how to solve problems, etc

Sorry, my post was directed to Caramon.

Kevin_Axion said:
Sorry, my post was directed to Caramon.

It is no problem. To give you an idea of what I know and what I should study, ask me questions. What level I don't know how to solve, I will study.

Note that the pure math class earlier mentioned is the same as what's usually covered in college algebra (usually precalc). just thought I'd throw that in there.

1. What is the difference between physics and thermodynamics?

Physics is a broad field of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, including the behavior of matter and energy. Thermodynamics is a specific branch of physics that focuses on the study of heat and its relationship to other forms of energy.

2. What topics are covered in an 8th grade physics and thermodynamics course?

An 8th grade physics and thermodynamics course typically covers basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, heat, and states of matter. Students may also learn about electricity, magnetism, and simple machines.

3. How can I apply physics and thermodynamics to real-world situations?

Physics and thermodynamics can be applied to various real-world situations, such as understanding the behavior of objects in motion, designing efficient systems, and predicting changes in temperature. These concepts are also important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and environmental science.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics and thermodynamics?

One common misconception is that physics is only relevant to complex mathematical equations and is not applicable to everyday life. In reality, physics and thermodynamics play a crucial role in understanding the world around us and are used in many practical applications. Another misconception is that thermodynamics only deals with heat, when in fact it also encompasses other forms of energy.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics and thermodynamics?

To improve your understanding of physics and thermodynamics, it is important to actively engage with the material and practice problem-solving. You can also seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or textbooks, and ask questions to your teacher or peers. Additionally, conducting hands-on experiments and demonstrations can help solidify your understanding of these concepts.